Jul 19, 2010, 4:11 PM EDT
“Jamaal Magloire has a role and that role is to beat the hell out of people.” A quote from Stan Van Gundy (via Orlando Pinstriped Post).
That is just fine with Miami. Which is why the Heat signed him to a one-year deal, according to Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel. It’s a one-year, veteran’s minimum deal of $1.4 million.
The Heat now have Magloire, Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and rookie Dexter Pittman under contract at center. The hope is that one — or some combination of the group — can give the Heat some defensive presence inside and rebounding that will free up Chris Bosh to be a terror at the four.
Magloire is considered a very good guy in the locker room, as well.
However, there are question marks all around. Magloire barely saw the court last year, appearing in just 23 games behind Jermaine O’Neal (who left town) and Joel Anthony. And Anthony is undersized for a center, Ilgauskas is old and was not a key part of Cleveland this season, and Pittman is an untested rookie.
But if they can get solid center play out of the group, they just filled what most people think is their biggest weakness.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 40
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 17
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20