Jul 19, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Tracy McGrady is going to have a workout with the Clippers this week.
And that’s it. Officially he is not working out or doing anything else for teams. There are hints of interest — the Chicago Bulls may take a look at him as their third guard at the two spot, according to the Sun Times. There are Laker fans clamoring for him and his people have hinted he would love to be a Laker.
But the interest from teams is fairly minimal. Why? Well because those Lakers fans didn’t watch McGrady play last year and the GMs did. McGrady was no longer explosive, he looked pedestrian and old. He was searching for how to make his game work without that explosiveness. Look at it this way: The Miami Heat were desperate for low-cost players who could contribute, and they didn’t give McGrady a glance.
Right now, Rasual Butler and Shannon Brown are still on the market and will almost certainly contribute much more to a team and create less of a distraction. McGrady shot 39 percent last year in his comeback with the Knicks, and had to miss time sitting with ice on his knees. He was not 100 percent back, and may never be. He is working hard, he has been for a couple of years trying to rehab his knees, but his body is betraying him.
It’s a hard. Because it was not that long ago when McGrady could score with anybody in the league. That McGrady was a joy to watch play. And somebody is going to give him a shot this fall. But the fact that he is still on the market and not getting a lot of serious interest shows where he stands in the mind of team officials.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 37
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42