Jul 19, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Tracy McGrady is going to have a workout with the Clippers this week.
And that’s it. Officially he is not working out or doing anything else for teams. There are hints of interest — the Chicago Bulls may take a look at him as their third guard at the two spot, according to the Sun Times. There are Laker fans clamoring for him and his people have hinted he would love to be a Laker.
But the interest from teams is fairly minimal. Why? Well because those Lakers fans didn’t watch McGrady play last year and the GMs did. McGrady was no longer explosive, he looked pedestrian and old. He was searching for how to make his game work without that explosiveness. Look at it this way: The Miami Heat were desperate for low-cost players who could contribute, and they didn’t give McGrady a glance.
Right now, Rasual Butler and Shannon Brown are still on the market and will almost certainly contribute much more to a team and create less of a distraction. McGrady shot 39 percent last year in his comeback with the Knicks, and had to miss time sitting with ice on his knees. He was not 100 percent back, and may never be. He is working hard, he has been for a couple of years trying to rehab his knees, but his body is betraying him.
It’s a hard. Because it was not that long ago when McGrady could score with anybody in the league. That McGrady was a joy to watch play. And somebody is going to give him a shot this fall. But the fact that he is still on the market and not getting a lot of serious interest shows where he stands in the mind of team officials.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 14
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13