Jul 19, 2010, 11:53 AM EDT
Jason and Jarron Collins are truly perplexing NBA players. They dig up roster spots, year after year, despite being essentially useless on a basketball court. They have no post game (they seem to have enough trouble just catching and finishing). They’re very poor rebounders. They don’t stand out defensively. They’re just two seven-footers and high-character teammates, which seems to be enough to earn a yearly NBA salary. They don’t catch your eye on the court, they don’t show up in the box score, and they aren’t favorites of advanced stats. What the Collinses do, strictly speaking,
Next year, the tradition continues, as the Atlanta Hawks are expected to re-sign Jason Collins for the veteran minimum, according to Chris Tomasson of NBA FanHouse. That means a Jarron signing can’t be far behind.
The problem isn’t that these deals are wreckless; if a team’s worst move is signing Jason Collins to a one-year deal for the veteran minimum, they’re in pretty good shape. However, with other qualified bigs playing in the D-League and in Europe, it would be nice to see someone else get a chance. Someone with potential for growth, and while we’re pushing it, maybe even the ability to get a bucket every now and again. If a young player performed at a Collins level during their rookie deal, they’d be out of the league in no time. Yet since Jason and Jarron are veterans with wisdom to impart, they get a free pass on the basketball side of things.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3