Jul 19, 2010, 11:53 AM EST
Jason and Jarron Collins are truly perplexing NBA players. They dig up roster spots, year after year, despite being essentially useless on a basketball court. They have no post game (they seem to have enough trouble just catching and finishing). They’re very poor rebounders. They don’t stand out defensively. They’re just two seven-footers and high-character teammates, which seems to be enough to earn a yearly NBA salary. They don’t catch your eye on the court, they don’t show up in the box score, and they aren’t favorites of advanced stats. What the Collinses do, strictly speaking,
Next year, the tradition continues, as the Atlanta Hawks are expected to re-sign Jason Collins for the veteran minimum, according to Chris Tomasson of NBA FanHouse. That means a Jarron signing can’t be far behind.
The problem isn’t that these deals are wreckless; if a team’s worst move is signing Jason Collins to a one-year deal for the veteran minimum, they’re in pretty good shape. However, with other qualified bigs playing in the D-League and in Europe, it would be nice to see someone else get a chance. Someone with potential for growth, and while we’re pushing it, maybe even the ability to get a bucket every now and again. If a young player performed at a Collins level during their rookie deal, they’d be out of the league in no time. Yet since Jason and Jarron are veterans with wisdom to impart, they get a free pass on the basketball side of things.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)