Jul 18, 2010, 5:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: NBA FanHouse has issued a retraction to the quote due to a transcription error. As word spread of the alleged quote, outrage was heavy. The correct quote from Wade was:
“”We’re going to be wearing a bullseye. But that’s what you play for,”
Wade said. “We enjoy the bullseye. Plus, there’s going to be times when
we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed
down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming
down again, but it’s not going to be nothing but a couple basketball
Quite a big difference. Wade still shouldn’t be invoking 9/11, but the difference is monumental.
The three NBA superstars that teamed up a few weeks ago need to buy some duct tape for their mouths. As popular opinion has turned sharply on three of the most popular players in the NBA, the public relations gaffes have continued, and today we may have the biggest.
In an interview with NBA FanHouse’s Tim Povtak, Dwyane Wade made the following comment about the pressure the Heat face (emphasis mine):
“We’re going to be wearing a bullseye,” Wade said. “But that’s what you
play for. If we lose a couple in a row this season, it will be like the
World Trade (Center) is coming down again. When the schedule comes out,
people will be looking for the Lakers and Heat, to see when they play
us. I feel like I’m a new player in Miami. That’s how excited I am.”
Um, Dwyane? Buddy? Come back to the light. It’s true that it’s been nearly nine years since, you, know, the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history, but it’s still probably a pretty touchy subject for a lot of Americans. There’s simply no excuse for the comparison.
No disrespect was intended by Wade, and everyone knows that, but the perception of insensitivity is only going to make it a bigger uphill battle for Heat PR to battle. There are worse things Wade could have said. I just can’t think of any at the moment.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18