UPDATE: Dwyane Wade misquoted about 9/11

Jul 18, 2010, 5:44 PM EDT

UPDATE: NBA FanHouse has issued a retraction to the quote due to a transcription error. As word spread of the alleged quote, outrage was heavy. The correct quote from Wade was:

“”We’re going to be wearing a bullseye. But that’s what you play for,”
Wade said. “We enjoy the bullseye. Plus, there’s going to be times when
we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed
down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming
down again, but it’s not going to be nothing but a couple basketball
games.”

Quite a big difference. Wade still shouldn’t be invoking 9/11, but the difference is monumental.

The three NBA superstars that teamed up a few weeks ago need to buy some duct tape for their mouths. As popular opinion has turned sharply on three of the most popular players in the NBA, the public relations gaffes have continued, and today we may have the biggest.

In an interview with NBA FanHouse’s Tim Povtak, Dwyane Wade made the following comment about the pressure the Heat face (emphasis mine):

“We’re going to be wearing a bullseye,” Wade said. “But that’s what you
play for. If we lose a couple in a row this season, it will be like the
World Trade (Center) is coming down again.
When the schedule comes out,
people will be looking for the Lakers and Heat, to see when they play
us. I feel like I’m a new player in Miami. That’s how excited I am.”

Um, Dwyane? Buddy? Come back to the light. It’s true that it’s been nearly nine years since, you, know, the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history, but it’s still probably a pretty touchy subject for a lot of Americans. There’s simply no excuse for the comparison.

No disrespect was intended by Wade, and everyone knows that, but the perception of insensitivity is only going to make it a bigger uphill battle for Heat PR to battle. There are worse things Wade could have said. I just can’t think of any at the moment.

129 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. faiath - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:21 AM

The hate you people have on these site towards one another no one other country hate american and 9/11 happens. There is hate everywhere even in sports why can’t people just respect each other and let it go at that. 9/11 happen but troops are dying every day and it is not mention in the news anymore. It will get worse befor it gets better if this hate don’t stop.

2. Matt - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM

“3 Kings” I thought you had to win them first. Do the math 3 players and only 1 has won anything. So there are not “3 Kings” only 1 and its not Lebron, duh.

3. J Mc - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM

A couple of points…
    1) I have way too much time on my hands this morning.
    2) The Miami Heat have not won a single game yet.
    3) If a General Manager would have put this team together he would have been called a genius. So why are the players catching such grief for doing it themselves? Hmmm, just wondering.
    4) I have way too much time on my hands this morning.

4. dan - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I know many people who are educated and whose grammar is less than perfect. Bad grammar is annoying, but it does not necessarily reflect a person’s education or intelligence, and certainly is not related to a person’s character. To say that he would be robbing liquor stores if not for basketball is just stupid. That entire comment takes a thread about an already touchy subject somewhere it doesn’t need to go.

5. RJV - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:58 AM

OMG – Is there ANYTHING – ANYONE can say in this world without being scrutinized or having a hissy fit over. This is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard…..the man was talking about basketball for goodness sake! There are MANY MORE horrible things that peole are saying in this world and maybe “these people” should focus on those things or just shut up! Enough is enough!

6. MattinDC - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM

WTF….Overpaid LOSERS playing a childs game. “F” Wade and Lebron and Bosh…who gives a $hit.
    F-ing LOSERS!!

7. Torchum Never Stops - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Ummm…September 11, 2010 (not here yet) minus September 11, 2001 is 9, I think. Anyone out there wanna correct me if I’m wrong…
    I’m just sayin’

8. Anonymous - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM

GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!

9. MattinDC - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Look LOSER,
    You DON’T compare losing a string of basketball games with the 9-11 tragedy. Simple.
    Just means this F-ing overpaid athletes think they ACTUALLY matter.
    MattinDC

10. Handel Arango - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Im a heat Fan all the way and I don’t blame Wade for what he said. Could he have used another analogy, sure.
    The truth of the matter is that our media is so screwed up that they rather cover when Lebron, Wade and Bosh wipe their butts instead of covering issues like the gulf spill and the war. You know, things that actually matter. Not a couple of multi-million dollar players. When their occupation directly affects my bank account, then I would expect this kind of media coverage.

11. Nick - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Bang bang comes to Miami

12. J Mc - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Actually Matt,
    They are neither overpaid nor is the NBA a “childs game”.
    The NBA is an international business that generates billions of dollars in revenue. The collatoral businesses that are dependent on the NBA also generate billions of dollare in revenue. Why then should not the players, who all of this is dependent upon, not make millions? When you have billions of dollars divided among hundreds of players and tens of owners you have millionaire players and billionaire owners. Simple economics. It might all be based on a “childs game”, but any resemblance is purely coincidental. Don’t hate, just work on your jump shot(or rather have junior work on his).

13. MattnDC - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM

S my D..how about THAT loser?
    ha ha ha

14. FU NY - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM

First off WTC Survivor & Lemon whatever the hell your name is. I’m the kinda guy that doesn’t generally care about humanity or anyone for that matter.
    People are cold, calculating and the most dangerous thing walking this planet. New Yorkers have always been the worst offenders and for this reason I have no sympathy for anyone from NY or anywhere else in the world. As far as I’m concerned this world can burn and I’ll sit back and watch with nothing but a smile on my face.

15. LaughingHysterically - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Apparently no one has read what he really said. As the article shows, he was mis-quoted. Dwayne Wade did NOT compare a losing streak to 9/11… He said THE MEDIA would treat it as such. Also, with the exception of a few, most of these NBA players are more educated than just about everyone on these threads. Don’t bash someone’s intelligence for the media’s mistakes.
    Thanks.

16. donnafg - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:40 AM

“bullet-proof vests?” Seriously?

17. Gabriel Tineo - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I’m doing everything I can, not to offend you since you are a WTC Survivor or so your claiming. But the people of Japan when they got hit by an atomic bomb during world war two were also going to work and didn’t do anything either. Your a hypocrite and should be called out for it. And this should be a lesson to you so that you can realize how one person can take someone else’s statement and add a different context to it. Much like DWade’s comment.

18. Jimmy Marlins Fan - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM

what does that even mean?

19. Dean - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:46 AM

If this is really about respect for the bereaved, then why is there no outrage over the repeated use of car crash imagery (crash, wreck, hit and run, and many more) when 100 times as many people have died in auto accidents in the US in the last nine years than died in 9/11 ?
    Moreover, is is statistically likely bordering on certainty that at least one of the outraged has driven over the legal limit in the last nine years.
    But God forbid that a sports player prone to hyperbole would offend 1 percent as many people as the crash/wreck/pile up crowd.
    If you want to be outraged, then be outraged at how often our sports professionals drive drunk, or recklessly. Get outraged over their drug use, or frequent run ins with the law. But to get outraged at a clearly hyperbolic statement which intended no offense ? What twisted sense of priorities has led us to this ?

20. dantefromdc - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Darkest day in American History?????? Wow. Its amazing how different peoples views can be about the country… But I guess thats what makes it great right? Cause in my opinion there were some extrememly dark days before 9/11.

21. MattinDC - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Point taken. STILL I CANNOT stomach the NBA. Regardless of the money that’s generated in cities. These players do drugs, beat their wives and father COUNTLESS bastard children with slut groupies. Wades comparison to losing a string of NBA games to the Twin Towers falling is ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS things I’ve ever heard of. NFL’s ok as I have season tix to the Redskins.
    THAT’S a real sport as people get injured badly. Those players deserve most of that money.
    I HATE THE NBA….most are black players and most CRIME in this country is done by blacks…..
    Nuff said.

22. maryellen - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Giles:
    You are absolutely correct in what you said. Mr. James want’s fame and fortune and a life of luxury…for what?? putting a ball in a hoop. And more then that he’s looking for everyone’s “adoration”. Someone should explain to him that is reserved for those who complete their education and make the world a better place…like cures for cancer, methods for teaching children (especially those with disabilities) ways to increase food supplies for the starving and diplomacy to help stop wars and killing. He should remember he’s just there to put on his sneakers and give the rest of us 48 minutes of entertainment when we sit down to rest after a day of doing real work!! …Nothing More

23. LaughingHysterically - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I’m not going to call you names. I will not degrade you, but it is people like YOU that keep racism alive in this country. You should be ashamed.

24. madylane - Jul 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM

ADNYC- really??? Are you so lame that shooting someone is the answer you resort to? I don’t agree with what Wade said but I think you are the one in the wrong here. Making threats can be a prosecutable misdemeanor. Watch your mouth please and be a good sport and good sports fan.

25. Anonymous - Jul 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Matt,
    Again I hate to break it to you, but your discription of what an NBA player does, ie. “do drugs, beat wives, father countless bastard children with slut groupies”, that also desribes most of Hollywood and the music industry in general. Do you also hate the these sectors of the entertainment industry or is it just the NBA in particular? If so why? The answer to that question is the real issue. Really, it is ok. We are all anonymous here you can say what is really on your mind. Also as to your point about the crime is this country being done by mostly blacks, I would like to see you demographic data on that because I think you are way off. Not that it matters, but if you take the dollar figure of crimes committed by blacks vs whites you will really get some eye opening numbers and not in the way that you would think.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches