Jul 18, 2010, 5:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: NBA FanHouse has issued a retraction to the quote due to a transcription error. As word spread of the alleged quote, outrage was heavy. The correct quote from Wade was:
“”We’re going to be wearing a bullseye. But that’s what you play for,”
Wade said. “We enjoy the bullseye. Plus, there’s going to be times when
we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed
down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming
down again, but it’s not going to be nothing but a couple basketball
Quite a big difference. Wade still shouldn’t be invoking 9/11, but the difference is monumental.
The three NBA superstars that teamed up a few weeks ago need to buy some duct tape for their mouths. As popular opinion has turned sharply on three of the most popular players in the NBA, the public relations gaffes have continued, and today we may have the biggest.
In an interview with NBA FanHouse’s Tim Povtak, Dwyane Wade made the following comment about the pressure the Heat face (emphasis mine):
“We’re going to be wearing a bullseye,” Wade said. “But that’s what you
play for. If we lose a couple in a row this season, it will be like the
World Trade (Center) is coming down again. When the schedule comes out,
people will be looking for the Lakers and Heat, to see when they play
us. I feel like I’m a new player in Miami. That’s how excited I am.”
Um, Dwyane? Buddy? Come back to the light. It’s true that it’s been nearly nine years since, you, know, the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history, but it’s still probably a pretty touchy subject for a lot of Americans. There’s simply no excuse for the comparison.
No disrespect was intended by Wade, and everyone knows that, but the perception of insensitivity is only going to make it a bigger uphill battle for Heat PR to battle. There are worse things Wade could have said. I just can’t think of any at the moment.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 49
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 46
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7