Jul 18, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
If there is one sure thing left this summer besides washed up players begging for a comeback with the Heat, it is that Erick Dampier’s contract will be terminated.
He is due $13 million next season, and the fact that it was a non-guaranteed deal made him a trading chip this summer. Dallas cashed in that chip for Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca (certainly less than they hoped to get). Charlotte does not want to venture into luxury tax range, so they will wipe out Dampiers’s deal.
“I would obviously give Charlotte the first opportunity and see what they say, see if they’re interested in me or not,” Dampier said. “Then we’ll go from there. If they’re not interested in me I’m sure there are other teams out there that could possibly be interested.”
In a summer when teams are looking for a big body to put in the middle, Dampier is that. He is 6’11″, 265 and when healthy last season he gave the Mavericks 6 points and 7 rebounds a game in 22 minutes. He can give a team some solid minutes in the paint. Not spectacular, but solid.
Charlotte could use that, after trading away Chandler. Just a big body off the bench. It’s going to come down to money. It won’t be $13 million, but he will have a contract for next season.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 19
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 71
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 16
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14