Jul 17, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
And by “clear the air” we mean “try and convince him not to demand a trade which would result in the outright horrific downfall of the franchise.”
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger reports that Hornets head coach Monty Williams plans on sitting down with point guard Chris Paul for a conversation about where the team is headed and to try and calm the waters after a tumultuous summer. With the Hornets missing the playoffs and with the stellar play of rookie Darren Collison, there had been substantial talk about Paul being traded.
Conflicting rumors suggested that the efforts to move Paul were from recently released GM Jeff Bower, or from outgoing ownership George Shinn despite Bower’s protests.With the upheaval in the front office, Paul has to be wondering about the future of the franchise. Which is likely why this meeting is taking place.
Williams will attempt to convince Paul they’re committed not only to winning, but using Paul’s talents to their max effectiveness. It’ll have to be a strong argument considering Paul has been watching his best friends sign deals to become instant contenders. Williams can have the talk, but if the play on the court doesn’t back it up, the Hornets are going to find themselves here again in a year.
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 4
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 30
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 10
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34