Jul 17, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
And by “clear the air” we mean “try and convince him not to demand a trade which would result in the outright horrific downfall of the franchise.”
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger reports that Hornets head coach Monty Williams plans on sitting down with point guard Chris Paul for a conversation about where the team is headed and to try and calm the waters after a tumultuous summer. With the Hornets missing the playoffs and with the stellar play of rookie Darren Collison, there had been substantial talk about Paul being traded.
Conflicting rumors suggested that the efforts to move Paul were from recently released GM Jeff Bower, or from outgoing ownership George Shinn despite Bower’s protests.With the upheaval in the front office, Paul has to be wondering about the future of the franchise. Which is likely why this meeting is taking place.
Williams will attempt to convince Paul they’re committed not only to winning, but using Paul’s talents to their max effectiveness. It’ll have to be a strong argument considering Paul has been watching his best friends sign deals to become instant contenders. Williams can have the talk, but if the play on the court doesn’t back it up, the Hornets are going to find themselves here again in a year.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 8
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 5
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 4
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 61
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 68
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30