Jul 17, 2010, 10:48 AM EST
And by “clear the air” we mean “try and convince him not to demand a trade which would result in the outright horrific downfall of the franchise.”
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger reports that Hornets head coach Monty Williams plans on sitting down with point guard Chris Paul for a conversation about where the team is headed and to try and calm the waters after a tumultuous summer. With the Hornets missing the playoffs and with the stellar play of rookie Darren Collison, there had been substantial talk about Paul being traded.
Conflicting rumors suggested that the efforts to move Paul were from recently released GM Jeff Bower, or from outgoing ownership George Shinn despite Bower’s protests.With the upheaval in the front office, Paul has to be wondering about the future of the franchise. Which is likely why this meeting is taking place.
Williams will attempt to convince Paul they’re committed not only to winning, but using Paul’s talents to their max effectiveness. It’ll have to be a strong argument considering Paul has been watching his best friends sign deals to become instant contenders. Williams can have the talk, but if the play on the court doesn’t back it up, the Hornets are going to find themselves here again in a year.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 13