Jul 17, 2010, 10:48 AM EST
And by “clear the air” we mean “try and convince him not to demand a trade which would result in the outright horrific downfall of the franchise.”
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger reports that Hornets head coach Monty Williams plans on sitting down with point guard Chris Paul for a conversation about where the team is headed and to try and calm the waters after a tumultuous summer. With the Hornets missing the playoffs and with the stellar play of rookie Darren Collison, there had been substantial talk about Paul being traded.
Conflicting rumors suggested that the efforts to move Paul were from recently released GM Jeff Bower, or from outgoing ownership George Shinn despite Bower’s protests.With the upheaval in the front office, Paul has to be wondering about the future of the franchise. Which is likely why this meeting is taking place.
Williams will attempt to convince Paul they’re committed not only to winning, but using Paul’s talents to their max effectiveness. It’ll have to be a strong argument considering Paul has been watching his best friends sign deals to become instant contenders. Williams can have the talk, but if the play on the court doesn’t back it up, the Hornets are going to find themselves here again in a year.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 18
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 34
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (61)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)