Jul 17, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Notes and observations on Pistons-Kings at Las Vegas summer league…
- DeMarcus Cousins is worn out. Cousins slugged through a bad performance today versus the Pistons, finishing 5-18. Still, he dropped 16 and 10, and actually finished with a triple-double (16,10, and 10 fouls). That’s right, DeMarcus Cousins fouled out of a Summer League game. But by the same token, it was just as evident in this game as with all others that there is going to be a very short list of players who will be able to handle Cousins physically. Wide enough? You’re unlikely to have the height and speed to combat his post moves. Great length? You’re probably going to have trouble with his huge frame and physicality. It’s summer league and the score will change when it’s Tim Duncan or Andrew Bynum defending, but there are going to be scores of players struggling to even handle him.
- On the flip side, Greg Monroe had a tremendous game. It wasn’t just the box (27 points on 8-10 shooting, 14 rebounds), it was that Monroe looked downright dominant for long stretches, powering through weaker defenders and using an array of drop-step hooks to ruin the opposition. As I commented to a colleague, “That move right there is what Dwight Howard is criticized for not having.” Debate continues on whether Monroe will wind up as a 4 or a 5, and his lack of blocks is indicative of greater issue with his defense. But all in all, not a bad day.
- Bill Walker was a man among boys for the Knicks, He continued to find seams in the Pistons’ defense and finished with 19 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block. And of course, he got in a few wicked dunks.
- Mike D’Antoni was in attendance watching the action, looking affable. Amar’e Stoudemire arrived with entourage, including his son wearing a custom Ama’re Knicks jersey. Stoudemire took questions from the press and did an interview on NBA TV, but also snuck in a few minutes with a Knicks assistant, watching the offense and comparing notes on assignments.
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 0
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld