Jul 17, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
When the Knicks acquired Anthony Randolph in a sign-and-trade for David Lee, there was a lot of discussion about how he’d fit into D’Antoni’s system. Randolph has been the subject of a million discussions about the possibility of running point forward, and when he was moved to D’Antoni’s club those discussions exploded.
Randolph carries with him both a good and bad tag. He’s capable of working at multiple positions which makes him versatile. He also hasn’t excelled at any one particular position and struggles with awareness. He can become lost very easily, but that may be a product of Don Nelson’s questionable development track.
At summer league in Las Vegas, I asked D’Antoni where Randolph fits in with this Knicks club, and the answer was clear, D’Antoni knows Randolph’s value lies in his versatility.
“He’s a multi-position player that has a world of talent whose athleticism is off the charts. He’s only played two years in the league and just turned 21. There’s a lot of positives and we’ll figure out where we fit him in, and figure out what the best position is for him, but he can play a lot of places. “
Under D’Antoni’s seven seconds or left, the idea of a pick and roll using Randolph as ball handler with Amar’e Stoudemire could be a devastating combo. He’ll need to improve in several areas, but with the work that D’Antoni was able to do with Boris Diaw at multiple possessions, there’s a good chance this could be one of the more exciting combinations in the league.
Randolph is full of untapped potential and needs the right opportunity to utilize what he has: versatility. There may be no better place for him than New York.
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 0
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 2
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 31
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39