Jul 17, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
When the Knicks acquired Anthony Randolph in a sign-and-trade for David Lee, there was a lot of discussion about how he’d fit into D’Antoni’s system. Randolph has been the subject of a million discussions about the possibility of running point forward, and when he was moved to D’Antoni’s club those discussions exploded.
Randolph carries with him both a good and bad tag. He’s capable of working at multiple positions which makes him versatile. He also hasn’t excelled at any one particular position and struggles with awareness. He can become lost very easily, but that may be a product of Don Nelson’s questionable development track.
At summer league in Las Vegas, I asked D’Antoni where Randolph fits in with this Knicks club, and the answer was clear, D’Antoni knows Randolph’s value lies in his versatility.
“He’s a multi-position player that has a world of talent whose athleticism is off the charts. He’s only played two years in the league and just turned 21. There’s a lot of positives and we’ll figure out where we fit him in, and figure out what the best position is for him, but he can play a lot of places. “
Under D’Antoni’s seven seconds or left, the idea of a pick and roll using Randolph as ball handler with Amar’e Stoudemire could be a devastating combo. He’ll need to improve in several areas, but with the work that D’Antoni was able to do with Boris Diaw at multiple possessions, there’s a good chance this could be one of the more exciting combinations in the league.
Randolph is full of untapped potential and needs the right opportunity to utilize what he has: versatility. There may be no better place for him than New York.
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 0
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 2
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 9
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 7
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)