Twists and turns as police investigate LeBron James pendant case

Jul 17, 2010, 10:34 AM EDT

LeBron_stares.jpgUPDATE 7/17 10:34 am: So maybe our innocent heroine is not so innocent.

Vaneisha Robinson, the woman who said she bought the pendant at a garage sale four years ago, is now a suspect in the case for receiving stolen property. Her story always had one big question mark: Someone really sold a $10,000 pendant at a garage sale for $5? Let’s assume for a second that someone did steal this, they would have some idea it was valuable, right? They wouldn’t just pawn it off for $5.

This does not excuse the awkward handling of the situation by Carter and his mother. But it sounds like nobody is really innocent in this case.

7/16 9:25 am: Maverick Carter is LeBron James right hand man. He helped convince LeBron that “The Decision” was a good marketing idea. He’s LeBron’s close friend, the CEO of LeBron’s marketing company, LRMR.

He’s in the middle of a police investigation for harassing a woman over the sale of a pendant. He’s on quite the roll of good decisions.

Four years ago, Vaneisha Robinson bought a pendant for $5 at a garage sale in the Cleveland area. The pendant shaped like a LeBron James jersey and encrusted with jewels saying “King 23″ on it, according to WEWS news out of Cleveland. Because she paid $5 she assumed it was costume jewelry.

Until she had it appraised recently and found out the diamonds and other jewels were real, and it was worth about $10,000. So she put it up for sale on eBay, and WEWS did a cute little story on it.

Wednesday, Robinson got a call from Katherine L. Powers, Maverick Carter’s mother.

“[Powers] said that LeBron James was at her house and they wanted me to come over there. They were going to make me an offer that I couldn’t refuse,” Robinson said.

It turned out the one-of-a-kind pendant belongs to Carter, who claims it was stolen. Robinson said she and her mother went to the Wadsworth house Carter shares with his mother, believing James was going to buy the pendant and give it back to Carter.

“When I got there, LeBron James was not there. It was about eight or nine other people there,” Robinson said. “They pretty much accused me, they threatened me and they used their authority to they (sic) best ability to get the pendant in their possession…

“They blocked (Robinson’s mother’s) truck in the driveway. They told us that we weren’t going anywhere until they got that pendant. I was scared for my life,” she said

Police were called out, and when they got there everyone was gone and Powers had the pendant.

Robinson is now taking the whole thing to court and the police are investigating.

Have fun with the circus, Miami.

1. Mike - Jul 16, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Have fun winning multiple titles, Miami

2. Brian - Jul 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM

This is OJ in Vegas all over again. Multiple people are going to prison for this one.

3. hnirobert - Jul 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Is Mike Florio posting on PBT under the name Kurt Helin?

4. pdbro - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Kurt Helin is clearly racist. Am I right, short sighted PBT commenters?

5. Tony - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Whoever writes these stupid articles is clearly a heat hater, all you is write n complain about the heat, get off the heats back you jerk off

6. saw - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM

People don’t lose 10k pendants and they certainly don’t end up at garage sales for $5 immediately following the loss.
    They wouldn’t have approached her like they did if they weren’t sure she had stolen it or associated with the thief.
    If she doesn’t have a recorded conversation that confirms her allegations then it’s her word versus theirs. Not only that but if they didn’t harm her or have weapons then why wouldn’t she call 911 from the house?
    Thief got caught and now she’s bitter. Story never made sense because four years ago a pendant like that would have been highly desirable and no one would have even sold it for $5 thinking it was a fake.

7. Nice executive! - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM

LeIdiot has surronded himself with utter d-bags. Maverick Carter,…puhlease. A high school goofball as CEO of a shrinking brand. That is, unless the Scotti Pippin brand makes a comeback.
    Great job, LeQuitter…

8. Thugs! - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Thugs n’ Harmony, oh wait, they are in Ohio.

9. Renato Afonso - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Where can you find any form of racist commentary in this article? Leave your paranoia at home with the tin foil hat, please…

10. akronal - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:04 PM

It’s irrelevant if she had anything to do with stealing the pendant. If they held her against her will (by blocking her exit) and threatened her, we’re talking talking kidnapping, assault, and robbery. I question the reliability of the woman as well, although I tend to doubt she would have made a national story about finding the pendant in the first place if she had stolen it. The police have the license plate number of the truck. It should be easy enough to sort out who was involved.

11. 305 in the 619 - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM

LETS GO HEAT! LETS GO HEAT!

12. Robert - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:54 PM

As far as I know, even if the woman bought the stolen goods (and even that part is subject to speculation), it is still the property of James. He should have gone to the police directly rather than doing this.
    Now he probably faces a civil lawsuit, which he’ll probably settle out of court, and get his jewelry back.
    Anyhows, back to the story. This is four years ago. This is just trying to add speculation and sensationalism to the national witch hunt that is James. This is so pointless that even I had to comment.

13. micaroni715 - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Maverick Carter is making E. from Entourage look like a genius.
    It is too easy to verify if she went to the residence.
    Phone records, EBay records.
    Please tell me Maverick’s mother is not that dumb.

14. Wow - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:02 PM

How much is LeBron paying his boy that he’s still living with his mom? Mom probably isn’t disabled or anything since she’s luring people over to rob them.
    Well played, guys.

15. micaroni715 - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Maverick’s mom has made Namond on The Wire’s mom proud.
    Brianna Barksdale said she is a cold broad.

16. Ken - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Who really believes that she got the pendant at a garage sale? She clearly stole the pendant or knows who did. Now that doesn’t justify the OJ style extortion tactics if that is what in fact occurred.
    But with all that said, the one undisputed fact about all of this is that Lebron was not there.

17. moski - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Stupid Story – Haters Forum – Let the comments from frustrated dummies begin – Yall go fine something meaniful to do. Thsi really anit bout sh*t

18. pdbro - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Sarcasm. I think I made that abundantly clear. It’s in reference to another comment, that of which I did not make abundantly clear.

19. Mark - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM

The guy who wrote this article is clearly an idiot.

20. Nick Geerz - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:48 PM

take em out the ghetto but not the ghetto out of them …. typical

21. Delonte West - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Mavericks MOm works her mouth better than gloria.. but Gloria is a FREAK… i cant wait till we play miami i can get some of that hot stinky vag

22. H25 - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Screw

23. Just another Clev. fan - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM

And without a police report proving that it was reported stollen, this guy can’t make that claim. She has documentation stating that it was appraised, signifying ownership. He has nothing but his word, which really doesn’t mean anything. And given the appraised value, if he can’t prove that it was reported stollen, he can get charged with a felony.

24. PaulN - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:24 PM

If she or someone she knew stole it, why put it on ebay? Why go on the news when they ask to do a story about it? And why go to the house of the person you stole it from? Her story of how she came into possession of it sounds legit.

25. David - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I have 2 sides of this. First off, someone tell me again what college did Maverick attend and whats his degree in? I forget! (maybe it thugology?)Next, it appears to me, no one thought about this thing until this lady brought it up. If I lost $10K, I would immediately report it stolen. He did not, so now he cannot say someone stole it “just because” and he wants it back. I clearly believe she was bullied and these thugs should pay.
    Police show up, his mother had the thing? Why did she have it if no money changed hands?
    I believe this lady because, after LeBron bounced to South Beach, she though it might have some value and had it apparised. I would, just as if I had a 23 bulls jersey when Jordan went to Washington?
    Now, I know if it were ME making this transacction. I would not show up with my mother. I would have my lawyer (any lawyer), uncle, few brothers ect. My feeling is, if it was on e-bay for $10K (the appraised value) and King James wanted it back, the value likely would jump to $50k or more, no small change. JMO

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches