Jul 16, 2010, 2:33 PM EST
The Chicago Bulls have been looking to upgrade their wing production this off-season, but in their close-minded desire to achieve that goal, they’ve made a bit of an odd move. According to Sam Smith of Bulls.com, Chicago will sign shooting guard Ronnie Brewer to a three-year, $12.5 million deal. For those counting at home, that’s three members of the Utah Jazz roster that have made their way to Chicago. Tom Thibodeau and Jerry Sloan are clearly men of similar tastes.
Brewer’s a good player. And $12.5 million over three years is good value for him. The problem is that with a starting lineup already devoid of three-point shooting, the Bulls just added a guy who didn’t make or attempt a single three last season, and has a career mark of .234 from beyond the arc. Chicago improved their power forward rotation by signing Carlos Boozer, but without anyone to space the floor in the starting lineup, Boozer, Derrick Rose, and Joakim Noah will face plenty of defensive pressure.
Defensively, Brewer is a great fit. He’s a good defender at either wing position, but should solidify Chicago’s coverage at the 2. That’s clearly important to Tom Thibodeau, but at what cost to the offense? Rose, Brewer, Luol Deng, Boozer, and Noah are all sure to see major minutes (a lot of them as a unit), and their non-complementary skill sets should limit the Bulls’ potential for offensive growth next season.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 11
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 34
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 18
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (47)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)