Jul 16, 2010, 2:33 PM EDT
The Chicago Bulls have been looking to upgrade their wing production this off-season, but in their close-minded desire to achieve that goal, they’ve made a bit of an odd move. According to Sam Smith of Bulls.com, Chicago will sign shooting guard Ronnie Brewer to a three-year, $12.5 million deal. For those counting at home, that’s three members of the Utah Jazz roster that have made their way to Chicago. Tom Thibodeau and Jerry Sloan are clearly men of similar tastes.
Brewer’s a good player. And $12.5 million over three years is good value for him. The problem is that with a starting lineup already devoid of three-point shooting, the Bulls just added a guy who didn’t make or attempt a single three last season, and has a career mark of .234 from beyond the arc. Chicago improved their power forward rotation by signing Carlos Boozer, but without anyone to space the floor in the starting lineup, Boozer, Derrick Rose, and Joakim Noah will face plenty of defensive pressure.
Defensively, Brewer is a great fit. He’s a good defender at either wing position, but should solidify Chicago’s coverage at the 2. That’s clearly important to Tom Thibodeau, but at what cost to the offense? Rose, Brewer, Luol Deng, Boozer, and Noah are all sure to see major minutes (a lot of them as a unit), and their non-complementary skill sets should limit the Bulls’ potential for offensive growth next season.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 11
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 13
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7