Jul 16, 2010, 2:33 PM EST
The Chicago Bulls have been looking to upgrade their wing production this off-season, but in their close-minded desire to achieve that goal, they’ve made a bit of an odd move. According to Sam Smith of Bulls.com, Chicago will sign shooting guard Ronnie Brewer to a three-year, $12.5 million deal. For those counting at home, that’s three members of the Utah Jazz roster that have made their way to Chicago. Tom Thibodeau and Jerry Sloan are clearly men of similar tastes.
Brewer’s a good player. And $12.5 million over three years is good value for him. The problem is that with a starting lineup already devoid of three-point shooting, the Bulls just added a guy who didn’t make or attempt a single three last season, and has a career mark of .234 from beyond the arc. Chicago improved their power forward rotation by signing Carlos Boozer, but without anyone to space the floor in the starting lineup, Boozer, Derrick Rose, and Joakim Noah will face plenty of defensive pressure.
Defensively, Brewer is a great fit. He’s a good defender at either wing position, but should solidify Chicago’s coverage at the 2. That’s clearly important to Tom Thibodeau, but at what cost to the offense? Rose, Brewer, Luol Deng, Boozer, and Noah are all sure to see major minutes (a lot of them as a unit), and their non-complementary skill sets should limit the Bulls’ potential for offensive growth next season.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 5
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)