Jul 16, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
The Milwaukee Bucks re-signed John Salmons to a five-year, $39 million deal. They picked up Drew Gooden for $32 million over five. They acquired Corey Maggette and the $30.8 million remaining on his contract over the next three seasons. They traded for the Nets’ Chris Douglas Roberts. And now, according to Chris Tomasson of NBA FanHouse, they’re interested in picking up combo guard Luther Head. Think improving the offense might have been an off-season priority?
Head won’t make nearly as much money as the other three because he isn’t nearly as productive. Still, he’s capable of providing an occasional scoring punch off the bench, provided defense and efficiency aren’t huge concerns. There’s a place for that deep on the bench, and as long as Luther isn’t given too much responsibility, team can typically find some use for him. Not the Hornets, though, who recently cut Head loose after initially offering him a contract and roster spot.
I’m not sure that team is the Bucks necessarily, but Milwaukee is trying their best to allow their offense to keep pace with their defense. However, Luther’s play is likely to give Scott Skiles an aneurysm if he ends up signing with the Bucks. Skiles clearly can put up with questionable shot selection as long as defense is still a premium, but at his best, Head is still a defensive liability. It wouldn’t be anything more than a minimal signing, but Head-to-the-Bucks could be worth it just to watch Skiles’ fumes.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 51
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 31