Jul 16, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
The Milwaukee Bucks re-signed John Salmons to a five-year, $39 million deal. They picked up Drew Gooden for $32 million over five. They acquired Corey Maggette and the $30.8 million remaining on his contract over the next three seasons. They traded for the Nets’ Chris Douglas Roberts. And now, according to Chris Tomasson of NBA FanHouse, they’re interested in picking up combo guard Luther Head. Think improving the offense might have been an off-season priority?
Head won’t make nearly as much money as the other three because he isn’t nearly as productive. Still, he’s capable of providing an occasional scoring punch off the bench, provided defense and efficiency aren’t huge concerns. There’s a place for that deep on the bench, and as long as Luther isn’t given too much responsibility, team can typically find some use for him. Not the Hornets, though, who recently cut Head loose after initially offering him a contract and roster spot.
I’m not sure that team is the Bucks necessarily, but Milwaukee is trying their best to allow their offense to keep pace with their defense. However, Luther’s play is likely to give Scott Skiles an aneurysm if he ends up signing with the Bucks. Skiles clearly can put up with questionable shot selection as long as defense is still a premium, but at his best, Head is still a defensive liability. It wouldn’t be anything more than a minimal signing, but Head-to-the-Bucks could be worth it just to watch Skiles’ fumes.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49