Jul 16, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
The Milwaukee Bucks re-signed John Salmons to a five-year, $39 million deal. They picked up Drew Gooden for $32 million over five. They acquired Corey Maggette and the $30.8 million remaining on his contract over the next three seasons. They traded for the Nets’ Chris Douglas Roberts. And now, according to Chris Tomasson of NBA FanHouse, they’re interested in picking up combo guard Luther Head. Think improving the offense might have been an off-season priority?
Head won’t make nearly as much money as the other three because he isn’t nearly as productive. Still, he’s capable of providing an occasional scoring punch off the bench, provided defense and efficiency aren’t huge concerns. There’s a place for that deep on the bench, and as long as Luther isn’t given too much responsibility, team can typically find some use for him. Not the Hornets, though, who recently cut Head loose after initially offering him a contract and roster spot.
I’m not sure that team is the Bucks necessarily, but Milwaukee is trying their best to allow their offense to keep pace with their defense. However, Luther’s play is likely to give Scott Skiles an aneurysm if he ends up signing with the Bucks. Skiles clearly can put up with questionable shot selection as long as defense is still a premium, but at his best, Head is still a defensive liability. It wouldn’t be anything more than a minimal signing, but Head-to-the-Bucks could be worth it just to watch Skiles’ fumes.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 44
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42