Jul 16, 2010, 1:34 PM EDT
As the Miami Heat continue to amass a roster of useful, skilled players, you can add one more potential acquisition to the list: Rudy Fernandez. According to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, Rudy has five teams he’d like to be traded to: the Knicks, the Nets, the Bulls, the Celtics, and yes, the almighty Heat.
Although Miami could definitely use a player like Fernandez, it would be a bit difficult to land him in South Beach. It’s not like Rudy’s a free agent; he’s simply given the Blazers a list of teams he’d be interested in playing for, which means Portland still would need to work out the specifics if they’re going to oblige.
The Knicks, Nets, Bulls, and Celtics all have tradeable assets. The Heat do not. Not only does Miami not have any players to spare, but they also gave away half of their first round picks from now until 2054. NBA rules prevent a team from trading first round picks in consecutive years, which means that all the Heat can offer the Blazers in terms of “future draft considerations” would be a first rounder somewhere in the distant future.
Fernandez would be a great fit with any of these teams, though. He’d look terrific playing for Mike D’Antoni, add some perimeter scoring for the Nets, complement the Celtics’ reserves, or slide into the role earmarked for J.J. Redick in Chicago. However, Rudy only finds a new home if the Blazers are willing to play ball, and with the recent shifts in the Blazers’ front office, that shouldn’t be taken for granted.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9