Jul 16, 2010, 1:34 PM EST
As the Miami Heat continue to amass a roster of useful, skilled players, you can add one more potential acquisition to the list: Rudy Fernandez. According to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, Rudy has five teams he’d like to be traded to: the Knicks, the Nets, the Bulls, the Celtics, and yes, the almighty Heat.
Although Miami could definitely use a player like Fernandez, it would be a bit difficult to land him in South Beach. It’s not like Rudy’s a free agent; he’s simply given the Blazers a list of teams he’d be interested in playing for, which means Portland still would need to work out the specifics if they’re going to oblige.
The Knicks, Nets, Bulls, and Celtics all have tradeable assets. The Heat do not. Not only does Miami not have any players to spare, but they also gave away half of their first round picks from now until 2054. NBA rules prevent a team from trading first round picks in consecutive years, which means that all the Heat can offer the Blazers in terms of “future draft considerations” would be a first rounder somewhere in the distant future.
Fernandez would be a great fit with any of these teams, though. He’d look terrific playing for Mike D’Antoni, add some perimeter scoring for the Nets, complement the Celtics’ reserves, or slide into the role earmarked for J.J. Redick in Chicago. However, Rudy only finds a new home if the Blazers are willing to play ball, and with the recent shifts in the Blazers’ front office, that shouldn’t be taken for granted.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)