Penny Hardaway wants to play for the Heat. Hey, so do I.

Jul 16, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT

hardaway_penny.jpgAnfernee “Penny” Hardaway last stepped on an NBA court three seasons ago. And he wasn’t good at all in the 16 games he played. He hasn’t done anything of quality on a court since 2004. It’s been a decade since he was good (and if you go back 15 years he was very, very good).

Now he wants to come back and play for the Miami Heat. At age 39.

That’s what he told the guys at the Bottom Line Sports Show on Blogtalk Radio (skip ahead to the 29 minute mark for the fun). CNBC’s Darren Rovell called this “a guy who says he’s Penny Hardaway,” so there is your grain of salt with this.

But it makes sense he wants to come back and help fill out the roster for the Heat. He’s chasing a ring, Miami is now a good place to get one.

By that same token, I want to submit my resume to Pat Riley to take a vets minimum spot on the roster. I’m six foot, a little slow, but with solid shooting touch out to 16 feet. Pretty good passer, as long as the defender doesn’t have long arms or is quick. On defense I can pick up fouls as quickly as anyone you have ever seen.

I can help the Heat as much as Penny can at this point. So I want in.

1. Lion Woods - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I hear Jerry West wants another go too! A Penny is not worth what it once was…

2. Evan - Hartford - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Why stop there? I bet Jordan would suit up in a minute…
    The NBA is REALLY turning into a joke…

3. N - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Sign me up too. I can dish out high fives with the best of them on time out breaks!

4. steve - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM

of course he does,so does j rrider, and mashburn. these guys are nuts.

5. hnirobert - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM

i’d rather have penny’s puppet than penny himself

6. KnicksTweets - Jul 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Funny thing is Anfernee Hardaway’s best basketball was over decade ago. Go to the Heat and rot.
    KnicksTweets

7. MiamiAllStars - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Why? This is looking like the NBA version of the Yankees and Red Sox. Except players want to play for nothing with the Heat, while if players play for NY or Boston, they ask for the moon. This is much better in my opinion. Don’t be jealous!

8. Antonie Walker - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I’m ready to get my sneakers ready. Just give me a call I need a paycheck even if its not much.

9. sett22 - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:16 PM

first of all. penny hardaway would probably wipe the floor with any of you even if he was 59. second, so what he wants to go help two young hall of famers possibly learn the game better and win a title. avery johnson played till he was 39, probably to set up some what of a coaching experience for himself. penny can do what he wants lol

10. sett22 - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:18 PM

11. Angela - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM

This is getting to be ridiculous. Just because the Heat have 3 stars everyone assumes there will be a parade in Miami next year. News flash: The Heat are getting all this hype, but they haven’t played a game yet. Until they prove something in the regular season and playoffs, the Lakers are still the team to beat. And if a washed up 39-year-old wants to chase a ring, then his first choice should be Lakers.

12. Harry Ball - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:52 PM

You know what, I bet Jordan would suit up too. And then use his trusty fadeaway jumper to straight up OWN. That would be the only move he’d need. God it would be hilarious to see some old man come out and make fools out of these kids, lol.

13. Mark Bevers - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM

richmond and glenn rice also are willing to sign for the heat I heard..

14. davidly - Jul 16, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that – no matter how much of his game is gone – Hardaway could help the Heat more than the author of this… whatever it was.

15. pudgalvin - Jul 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Stephen A. Smith is also reporting that Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins, John Stockton have also scheduled tryouts.

16. davidly - Jul 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Is Skibby MaRue available?

17. davidly - Jul 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM

In all seriousness: I’ve been marginally skeptical of this experiment in Miami, but if Rodman were to sign, they’d be a lock.

18. Tim Hardaway - Jul 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Me too. Me wants to sign

19. ocgunslinger - Jul 16, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I can just hear the Bill Russell “Cackle” on the sideline.

20. Rob - Jul 16, 2010 at 10:04 PM

LOL @ headline!

21. Whatever - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Seems like everyone wants to sell their soul to go play with the Heat. The 3 of them don’t seem to understand that this move has just set the NBA back about 7 years. No one want’s to play for Boston or LA anymore? Hell no! Let me go ride Dwade’s jockstrap to a championship.

22. Josh - Jul 17, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Go Penny. I want to see you and all those slick moves of yours.

23. Big Mike - Jul 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM

You have to be a really good player to play in the NBA. If the Heat signs Penny it’s because Penny has NBA caliber talent. And the problem with that is what???? LeBron for President!

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures