Jul 16, 2010, 7:47 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics are getting the band back together. The band that made it all the way to Game 7 of the NBA finals. Good band.
Next year, the band may not be good enough — there is an arms race in the East. And Paul Pierce knows it (as reported at ESPNBoston).
“I thought it was a great move picking up Jermaine [O'Neal], giving us an inside presence in case Rasheed [Wallace] retires, but sometimes I’m looking at all the players signing and wish we would get on the ball a little bit,” Pierce said. “I trust in Danny [Ainge] to put a good team around us, but I’m sitting here watching all these good players fall to other teams.”
Tony Allen is gone, and Boston is going to miss him. They needed his defense and athleticism off the bench. How much was he on Kobe at the end of last year? Pierce realizes it.
“We got a lot [to add] right now,” said Pierce. “We lost TA, we don’t have Nate [Robinson], we might not have Rasheed. We gotta add a bench. We got our work cut out. We need perimeter defense and we need to add a backup point guard to help out [Rajon] Rondo, if Nate doesn’t come back. And we need another big.”
They did get Nate Robinson as the backup for Rondo, but the point remains valid:
Boston is pretty much the same team it was last year, one year older. Is that good enough now?
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47