Jul 16, 2010, 7:47 PM EST
The Boston Celtics are getting the band back together. The band that made it all the way to Game 7 of the NBA finals. Good band.
Next year, the band may not be good enough — there is an arms race in the East. And Paul Pierce knows it (as reported at ESPNBoston).
“I thought it was a great move picking up Jermaine [O'Neal], giving us an inside presence in case Rasheed [Wallace] retires, but sometimes I’m looking at all the players signing and wish we would get on the ball a little bit,” Pierce said. “I trust in Danny [Ainge] to put a good team around us, but I’m sitting here watching all these good players fall to other teams.”
Tony Allen is gone, and Boston is going to miss him. They needed his defense and athleticism off the bench. How much was he on Kobe at the end of last year? Pierce realizes it.
“We got a lot [to add] right now,” said Pierce. “We lost TA, we don’t have Nate [Robinson], we might not have Rasheed. We gotta add a bench. We got our work cut out. We need perimeter defense and we need to add a backup point guard to help out [Rajon] Rondo, if Nate doesn’t come back. And we need another big.”
They did get Nate Robinson as the backup for Rondo, but the point remains valid:
Boston is pretty much the same team it was last year, one year older. Is that good enough now?
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 0
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 8
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)