Jul 16, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT
You have to like Omar Samhan.
You remember him from the NCAA Tournament, when he tore it up for St. Mary the opening weekend, scoring more points than anyone ever had over opening weekend. He’s a good guy, a funny one. Check out the fantastic profile by our own Rob Mahoney, and be sure to watch the video. And stay to the end, when he starts playing defense on a random woman in New York New York.
But he’s not going to be playing defense in the NBA — he has signed a deal to play for Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania next season, according to Sham Sports (and they get this stuff right).
Samhan was in Vegas playing on their Summer League team. But he was caught in a numbers game — the Mavs brought back Brendan Haywood, traded for Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca, and signed free agent Ian Mahinmi. That’s a lot of people lined up in front of Samhan.
Samhan has some skills beyond one-liners — solid footwork, a midrange shot, length and a good work ethic. That could get him a shot in the NBA one day.
But his career starts in Europe.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 22
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 6
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22