Jul 16, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT
You have to like Omar Samhan.
You remember him from the NCAA Tournament, when he tore it up for St. Mary the opening weekend, scoring more points than anyone ever had over opening weekend. He’s a good guy, a funny one. Check out the fantastic profile by our own Rob Mahoney, and be sure to watch the video. And stay to the end, when he starts playing defense on a random woman in New York New York.
But he’s not going to be playing defense in the NBA — he has signed a deal to play for Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania next season, according to Sham Sports (and they get this stuff right).
Samhan was in Vegas playing on their Summer League team. But he was caught in a numbers game — the Mavs brought back Brendan Haywood, traded for Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca, and signed free agent Ian Mahinmi. That’s a lot of people lined up in front of Samhan.
Samhan has some skills beyond one-liners — solid footwork, a midrange shot, length and a good work ethic. That could get him a shot in the NBA one day.
But his career starts in Europe.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14