Jul 16, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT
You have to like Omar Samhan.
You remember him from the NCAA Tournament, when he tore it up for St. Mary the opening weekend, scoring more points than anyone ever had over opening weekend. He’s a good guy, a funny one. Check out the fantastic profile by our own Rob Mahoney, and be sure to watch the video. And stay to the end, when he starts playing defense on a random woman in New York New York.
But he’s not going to be playing defense in the NBA — he has signed a deal to play for Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania next season, according to Sham Sports (and they get this stuff right).
Samhan was in Vegas playing on their Summer League team. But he was caught in a numbers game — the Mavs brought back Brendan Haywood, traded for Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca, and signed free agent Ian Mahinmi. That’s a lot of people lined up in front of Samhan.
Samhan has some skills beyond one-liners — solid footwork, a midrange shot, length and a good work ethic. That could get him a shot in the NBA one day.
But his career starts in Europe.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 36
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 37
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17