Jul 16, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT
You have to like Omar Samhan.
You remember him from the NCAA Tournament, when he tore it up for St. Mary the opening weekend, scoring more points than anyone ever had over opening weekend. He’s a good guy, a funny one. Check out the fantastic profile by our own Rob Mahoney, and be sure to watch the video. And stay to the end, when he starts playing defense on a random woman in New York New York.
But he’s not going to be playing defense in the NBA — he has signed a deal to play for Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania next season, according to Sham Sports (and they get this stuff right).
Samhan was in Vegas playing on their Summer League team. But he was caught in a numbers game — the Mavs brought back Brendan Haywood, traded for Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca, and signed free agent Ian Mahinmi. That’s a lot of people lined up in front of Samhan.
Samhan has some skills beyond one-liners — solid footwork, a midrange shot, length and a good work ethic. That could get him a shot in the NBA one day.
But his career starts in Europe.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3