Jul 16, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT
You have to like Omar Samhan.
You remember him from the NCAA Tournament, when he tore it up for St. Mary the opening weekend, scoring more points than anyone ever had over opening weekend. He’s a good guy, a funny one. Check out the fantastic profile by our own Rob Mahoney, and be sure to watch the video. And stay to the end, when he starts playing defense on a random woman in New York New York.
But he’s not going to be playing defense in the NBA — he has signed a deal to play for Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania next season, according to Sham Sports (and they get this stuff right).
Samhan was in Vegas playing on their Summer League team. But he was caught in a numbers game — the Mavs brought back Brendan Haywood, traded for Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca, and signed free agent Ian Mahinmi. That’s a lot of people lined up in front of Samhan.
Samhan has some skills beyond one-liners — solid footwork, a midrange shot, length and a good work ethic. That could get him a shot in the NBA one day.
But his career starts in Europe.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 7
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 18
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29