Nate Robinson agrees to deal with Celtics

Jul 16, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT

Boston is going to win a few games this season because Nate Robinson is going to come in blazing hot off the bench and just light up somebody’s second team.

Thumbnail image for NRobinson.jpgBoston is going to lose a couple games this year in part because Nate Robinson is going to come in off the bench ice cold but keep trying to shoot his way out of the slump.

You know what you are getting with Nate — and Boston got him.

The Celtics and Robinson have agreed to a deal, according to Mark Spears at Yahoo. It is for two years and about $9 million total.

Robinson gives the Celtics some depth at the point guard they really need. He’s always a fan favorite. And we get an entire season of Shrek and Donkey references. And you can’t put a price tag on that.

1. loungefly - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Good call. I’m a Lakers fan and I know he can be very dangerous off the bench.

2. john j pileggi - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM

He drove me batty in New York, but I never doubted his hard work or enthusiasm. I hope he does well in Boston.

3. Joe - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM

We could of used him Miami but I guess I have nothing to complain about…..

4. rudy from riverside - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I’m a Laker fan, and I love to see Our Rivals resign guys who come in in big games against my Lakers and stink up the place, not playing “D” and missing shot after shot! It’s a beautiful thing to see…

5. mark c - Jul 16, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I second that Rudy, this guy was like a breath of fresh air for us everytime they brought his midget a$$ in there in the finals. Cant wait to pound the Celts in the finals again. Miami? – yea right

6. lou - Jul 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM

This guy has the biggest ego in the game. Of course he can jump over the rim so….. But I just do not think he fits in Boston. Maybe he will prove me wrong. :-)

7. Joe - Jul 16, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Mark, I can see you are already starting to fear Miami by your over the top reaction.

8. Reality33 - Jul 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Pound on the Celtics? Seems to me they played 7 games and the Celts lead in the 4th quarter of Game 7. If Kendrick doesn’t go down, it’s over in 6 and the balloons once again stay on the ceiling. Nate needed more than a few months to fit in. Good signing.

9. oldschooler - Jul 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM

To Mark C: Pound again? Like in a seven-game series decided in the last 30 seconds of Game 7? … sounds like someone had a pretty broad definition of a pounding. The ball bounces the other way just a time or two, and the parade would have been Boston. Enjoy being on the upside of a squeaker. But understand that it was, in fact, a squeaker.
    And BTW, good decision to resign Robinson. Brings energy and activity. He adds more than he detracts. Should have gotten more minutes in Games 6 and 7.
    Now, let’s get back Eddie House to fill the second spot at 2.

10. Knowitall - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Yes, and let’s not forget that if Perkins had played, we would have won game 7. I know Laker fans know that and don’t want to even talk about it.

11. Lion Woods - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Nate Robinson is so overrated… he sucked in New York has a huge mouth and ego and just isn’t that compelling where we need a tweet everytime he can reach the top shelf. Oompa Loompa dude just signed for two years with Boston… funny though, errtime he came into the game against the Lakers, I felt like we had a huge advantage… maybe he should stick with making Wonka bars.

12. Lion Woods - Jul 16, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Perkins all of a sudden is Tim Duncan, please, your wasting errbody’s time with your tears for what could have been. Lakers rule, and with Nate the Great running your point… good luck beating Miami.

13. Reality33 - Jul 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM

C’mon Lion. You can’t be serious. All it would have taken were a few more defensive rebounds. Nobody said that he had to be Tim Duncan-esque. Nobody’s crying, either. A tank truck run over Cleveland and Miami was more than I thought they’d do. Going 7 against a team more talented was pretty freaking good.

14. Anonymous - Jul 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I’m a Lakers fan, born and raised in L.A., but living in Boston the past 22 years.
    I think it’s wrong and imbalanced to continually point to the loss of a previously healthy Perkins for Game 7, when the Lakers haven’t had a healthy Bynum in any of the 3 past Finals. Why do Celtics fans overlook that?

15. Reality33 - Jul 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Make that Cleveland and Orlando. Miami’s next year’s road kill.

16. oldschooler - Jul 16, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Gasol gets 18 rebounds in Game 7 if Perkins is there? Maybe … maybe not. It’s academic now, unless someone has a parallel universe time travel machine.
    BTW, Nate the Great is not running the point. Some guy name Rondo likely has that job. But maybe my memory is failing me in my dotage, but I seem to recall that Nate and Davis were key to a Finals win by running wild in the 4th quarter. So I guess the Lakers did not have the advantage with Robinson on the court in that particular instance.
    Beating Miami might prove to a challenge for many teams in the league, even the one in purple and gold. Time will tell…

17. Reality33 - Jul 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Anon. Interesting point, but Perkins was such a large part of games 1-6 that it made a difference. It’s not like Bynum was healthy during the series and left a hole in pretty well-tuned team. My point was only that there was no “pounding” (as lion Woods posted) and that something like the Perkins loss could have turned it. Sure, a healthy Bynum, playing up to his potential, would have made it an even tougher series for the Green.

18. Drew - Jul 16, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I think Nate re-signing is a great move. Sure, he was immature and selfish in New York, but Boston is a perfect environment for him. Doc Rivers and the veteran Celtic players have the ability to reign in loose cannons. Robinson’s previous antics will not be tolerated in Boston. He proved his value in the playoffs.
    In terms of the Lakers-Celtics, I really felt like Game 3 was the difference in the series. Ray Allen going even 2-13 (as opposed to 0-13) and the Celtics win that game. Win that game and they probably close it out in 5. We’d probably be having a completely different discussion about how “dominant” the Celtics were. Instead, the pivotal Game 3 went to the Lakers. That’s how the ball bounces. The teams were evenly matched with the series going either way. It still sounds like Laker fans are bitter even though they won the series.

19. luffy - Jul 16, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Ok I’m a Lakersfan, again I’m hearing shoulda, woulda, coulda from Celts fans, gosh, get over it! I agree though that it wasn’t a pounding for the Celts, it’s actually a pounding for both teams…
    Going back, I think Nate is a good catch since T. Allen isn’t around anymore. I’m rooting for a Lakers-Celtics Finals again next season, with the Lakers winning in 6 games…
    2011 East Finals, Boston-Chicago, Celts in 7games…
    2011 Finals, Lakers 3peat in 6 games…
    2012 Finals, Lakers-Bulls, Lakers 4peat in 7 games…

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches