Jul 16, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
Prior to his hiring as the head coach of the Chicago Bulls, Tom Thibodeau’s influence was rumored to be the stuff of legend. He was the architect of the NBA’s best defense. A coaching mastermind, waiting in the wings. I heard he once made Kendrick Perkins smile and made Kevin Garnett cry. His pedigree as a defensive coach is undeniable, and he’s supposedly as intense as any coach in the league.
His departure leaves some pretty huge shoes to fill, but Doc Rivers and the Celtics have gotten off to a good start in finding a very suitable replacement. According to Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the Celtics have hired former Nets head coach Lawrence Frank to step in as Rivers’ top assistant.
Frank is a basketball coach, which is rarer in these ranks than it should be. Securing a coaching gig has become an incredibly political process, and guys like Frank — hard-working, well-schooled, versed in the game’s more detailed mechanics — are often the victims of the NBA Good Ol’ Boys’ Club. Not here. Rivers was looking for a top-notch coach to help him lead his staff, and that’s exactly what he got with Lawrence Frank.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 12
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful