Jul 15, 2010, 6:24 PM EDT
There is a buzz around New Orleans Hornets games at the Summer League in Las Vegas suddenly. Respected player development guys are seeing their phones ring off the hook — potential general manager candidates want to get to know the Hornets personnel.
The first guy to get a shot seems to be just-fired Kevin Pritchard from the Portland Trail Blazers. David Aldridge of NBA.com reported that Hornets team president Hugh Webber met with Pritchard’s agent in Las Vegas yesterday.
He would replace Jeff Bower, who was recently let go from the job by Webber.
There are plenty of basketball people in Vegas questioning why Bower was really let go. There was tension with Webber after Bower checked the trade market value for team star Chris Paul. Which didn’t sit well with Paul, and the Hornets need to do everything in their power to keep him happy.
But as Aldridge explains, it all comes back to the confused ownership situation in New Orleans.
Of course, Bower would not have begun preliminary calls to gauge Paul’s trade value without the approval of ownership, and league sources maintain that the desire to determine Paul’s trade value came from new proposed majority owner Gary Chouest, who continues negotiations with current owner George Shinn on a transfer. Sources say that if Shinn does not complete the sale of the team to Chouest that Shinn will not trade Paul under any circumstances.
Bottom line: If the Hornets don’t get it all together in two years, CP3 will be gone as a free agent. They have to get back to the rising team status (at least) they were at just a few years ago.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61