Jul 15, 2010, 6:24 PM EST
There is a buzz around New Orleans Hornets games at the Summer League in Las Vegas suddenly. Respected player development guys are seeing their phones ring off the hook — potential general manager candidates want to get to know the Hornets personnel.
The first guy to get a shot seems to be just-fired Kevin Pritchard from the Portland Trail Blazers. David Aldridge of NBA.com reported that Hornets team president Hugh Webber met with Pritchard’s agent in Las Vegas yesterday.
He would replace Jeff Bower, who was recently let go from the job by Webber.
There are plenty of basketball people in Vegas questioning why Bower was really let go. There was tension with Webber after Bower checked the trade market value for team star Chris Paul. Which didn’t sit well with Paul, and the Hornets need to do everything in their power to keep him happy.
But as Aldridge explains, it all comes back to the confused ownership situation in New Orleans.
Of course, Bower would not have begun preliminary calls to gauge Paul’s trade value without the approval of ownership, and league sources maintain that the desire to determine Paul’s trade value came from new proposed majority owner Gary Chouest, who continues negotiations with current owner George Shinn on a transfer. Sources say that if Shinn does not complete the sale of the team to Chouest that Shinn will not trade Paul under any circumstances.
Bottom line: If the Hornets don’t get it all together in two years, CP3 will be gone as a free agent. They have to get back to the rising team status (at least) they were at just a few years ago.
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 4
- PBT’s Wednesday night NBA Winners/Losers: Video of LeBron’s fumble, other tight finishes 13
- LeBron James, with chance to beat Spurs, loses ball to end game (video) 39
- NBA suspends Hornets’ Jeff Taylor for 24 games following guilty plea for domestic violence 7
- PBT Extra: Is Dwight Howard NBA’s newest villain? 31
- Report: Bradley Beal to make season debut Wednesday for Wizards 5
- Kobe Bryant passes 32,000 career points milestone 6
- Dwight Howard’s attorney: Claims Rockets’ star abused his child baseless 11