Quote of the day, where LeBron doesn't look so bad

Jul 14, 2010, 2:09 PM EDT

“LeBron was criticized for making the pass instead of taking the hard shot and he made the right basketball play. Now he’s criticized for going and playing with other guys and trying to win. I thought that’s what we’re supposed to do.”

–New York Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni, on LeBron James’ decision to go to Miami (as told to Alan Hahn of Newsday).

1. Dirk Simmons - Jul 14, 2010 at 2:34 PM

He’s not being criticized so much for wanting to play with other great players, but for how he went about doing it. I guarantee you if he had left New York the way he left Cleveland, D’Antoni would be pissed. He strung all these teams along for weeks. And not to mention the collusion that took place between these three players. Stern says it’s not tampering, but I don’t know what else you can call it. D’Antoni is more inept then I thought he was if this is how he’s responding to Lebron’s “Decision”.

2. TheThreeAmigos - Jul 14, 2010 at 2:45 PM

@Dirk Simmons… Umad?

3. LeBronadict Arnold - Jul 14, 2010 at 2:56 PM

It’s not the fact that LeBron left Cleveland…. Its the arrogance he showed in the process leading up to his decision to leave Cleveland. The circus that surrounded him for the 2 weeks leading up to that 1 hour self-love fest was an absolute joke.
    Thanks alot for that ESPN.

4. Dirk Simmons - Jul 14, 2010 at 3:35 PM

No, I’m not necessarily mad, but I don’t think D’Antoni should be defending Lebron. From your name though I’m assuming you are a Heat fan. You have every right to gloat, but Lebron has to fend for himself now.

5. Sguy2130 - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM

@Lebronadict Arnold

6. Jake - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Dirk and LeBronadict have it right. As a basketball player, LeBron did the right thing (finally). He actually came out of it as the only guy in the whole thing who went to where he could win most. Wade and Bosh? They could have won guaranteed championships coming to the Bulls. But they chose South Beach instead. Fine. LeBron made the smart basketball decision. Whether or not basketball was the prime motivating factor, I don’t know. His problem was going on TV and acting like a jerk in front of the whole country, and then murdering the city of Cleveland on national television. He went to the right team for winning games, but in leaving Cleveland in a self-promoting TV special, he brought new meaning to the timeless phrase “LeBron James, with no regard for human life!”

7. Moni - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I agree with dantoni. I get the sense that not only does lebron have to win rings, he has to do it in a way we approve. Just getting rings isn’t enough for him. I applaud lebrons decision. It clearly shows his number one goal is winning. No ego on the court.

8. Anonymous - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM

@Sguy2130
    Stephen A Smith is on the Fox payroll. If he had been on ESPN, the Wade/LBJ/Bosh trio to Miami would have been broken two weeks earlier – when Stephen A broke it on Fox Sports Radio.
    ESPN is, and continues to be, a joke. The Decision one hour special is just more evidence of that. )And the soccer that network pushed on us.)

9. Cordae - Jul 14, 2010 at 8:20 PM

ohhhhh STFU! he didnt stab nobody in the heart! He didnt say “Cleveland aint ish to me” he stated the truth! Which was that they watched him grow but he cant win there! He made it a charitable event and aired it publicly. SO WHAT! you all still tuned in like u cared, oh wait…..BECAUSE YOU DO! Tired of all you 30-something year-old basketball-iliterate flunkies making this a personal matter. He was a free agent just like anyone else! He owes Cleveland exactly what they gave him…….NOTHING!!!
    MUCH LOVE D’ANTONI!!!! you spoke the truth! Unlike that SLAVE-OWNER Dan Gilbert! now I see why Kobe loves u so much!!!

10. Lila - Jul 15, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Exactly, Cordae – what IS it with people acting like he “murdered Cleveland”. Cleveland must be a bunch of whiney children at heart- it’s not personal, it’s not about YOU. Talk about being narcissistic! Maybe this can be a lesson for people in Cleveland to not be so emotional about a single person; to not conduct yourselves as though anyone should be making all of their life decisions based on what your city wants. It’s the saddest, most juvenile display I’ve ever seen- I’m a Cavs fan, but I’d feel embarrassed if I lived there.

11. Cordae - Jul 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Right! get over it! You have money to spend, now spend it. Its gonna be hard for anyone to wanna play there now, thanks to good ol danny.

Wizards playing spoiler in East