Jul 14, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
Hey New Yorkers: Right now is when you can start judging Mike D’Antoni.
The last two years don’t count. Those were the climbing out of the hole years. The paying for the sins of your father years. David Lee was nice, the rest of the roster needed help. None of the pieces were there to run the system
Now, there are some pieces. Amare Stoudemire was made for this system. Raymond Felton is not Steve Nash but is a far sight better than Chris Duhon.
D’Antoni told Alan Hahn of Newsday (in between Summer League games in Vegas) the Knicks have “a legitimate shot” to make the playoffs.
“We’ve got one good piece,” D’Antoni said yesterday. “We’ve got some young guys to develop and we’ve got to add another piece or two or three or whatever we have to do.”
The real key to a playoff run will be to see improved games from the guys around Stoudemire and Felton — Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, and just acquired Anthony Randolph needs to consistently bring the potential he has flashed over the years. He is a guy really suited to this system (and the one in Golden State, but there were Don Nelson issues)
It’s going to take a couple years to really put the whole package together. But a playoff appearance would be one huge step forward. And it could happen.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14