Jul 14, 2010, 9:57 PM EST
According to Marc Stein of ESPN.com, free agent guard Raja Bell will sign with the Utah Jazz. Bryant was supposed to meet with Bell to recruit him to the Lakers, but the Jazz signed Bell to a deal before the meeting could take place.
The 33-year old Bell isn’t getting any younger, but his defense, toughness, shooting ability, and intelligence make him a natural fit in Jerry Sloan’s system. Bell played for Sloan during the 2004-05 and 05-06 seasons, then spent the next six years with the Suns, Bobcats, and Warriors.
Los Angeles would have been a great place for Bell to chase a ring, but the Jazz were able to offer him around $10 million over the next three years, which is much more than the Lakers would have been able to offer Bell.
This signing makes it all but official that Utah will not match the 4-year, $34 million dollar the Blazers gave to Wesley Matthews, and multiple sources are reporting that the Jazz have told Matthews they do not plan to match. If healthy, Bell will be able to replace much of what Matthews brought to the Jazz, and he comes with more experience as well as a lower price tag.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 5
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 14
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld