Tiago Splitter is officially a Spur, and you don't realize how big this is

Jul 13, 2010, 9:35 AM EST

Thumbnail image for Tsplitter.jpgYou know what deal Western Conference executives have been raving about this week in Vegas?

Tiago Splitter to the Spurs. A deal that became official now and at an incredible price of three years for $11 million. Splitter clearly wants to be here as a he took a paycut to leave Saski Baskonia, the team he just led to the Spanish League title.

Splitter is the best center in Europe right now (or was, technically). He is 6’11”, skilled but physical as well. The 25-year-old Brazilian is the entire package. Look for Antonio McDyess to remain the starter at first, but Splitter may push him out of that role later in the season, once he learns the system.

His game may look familiar to Spurs fans — he says he has been watching and trying to copy Tim Duncan for many years. If there is one thing Splitter can do, it’s help Gregg Popovich keep Duncan’s minutes down through the course of the regular season. Keeping him fresh for when it matters, and a fresh and healthy Spurs team in the playoffs could be dangerous.

Splitter was drafted in 2007, but was pretty ticked when he was drafted, he admitted to the San Antonio Express News. Not because the Spurs drafted him, but because he had been led to believe by his advisors that he would go in the top 10, not drop all the way down to the Spurs closer to the end of the first round.

So he stayed in Europe for three more years, meaning the time of what would have been his first rookie deal ran out and the Spurs were allowed to pay him more.

“I realize where you have the opportunity to be — on a team that is international and a team that won titles with such good players, Manu (Ginobili) and Tim Duncan and Tony Parker,” Splitter said. “Then I realized that I’m in good hands, and the team who had my rights was great for me.”

Do not sleep on San Antonio next season.

1. kdawg - Jul 13, 2010 at 10:38 AM

awesome awesome awesome. and only 25, too.

2. Jason - Jul 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM

I think part of the reason we don’t know this is a big deal is because I ,and I believe I’m not the only one, have been hearing a lot about Tiago Splitter but everywhere that talks about it says nothing about his numbers or gives highlights or anything. Can we get more info on this guy that’s supposedly going to revive the Spurs?

3. Jason - Jul 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM

4. Bryan - Jul 13, 2010 at 11:31 AM

jason, how hard is it to go to youtube and type in his name? Are you retarded?

5. Franco - Jul 13, 2010 at 11:42 AM

This dude is bad! I sincerely believe,that once he gets his NBA game down pat, he is going to be a MONSTER! Enjoy!
    Tiago Splitter video; Dominio Absoluto

6. Renato Afonso - Jul 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I’ve seen him play. As Lakers fan I’m more worried about him than any team the East can offer. He is a BEAST and that Duncan-Splitter tandem can hold the Lakers frontcourt… The West is really tight.

7. Franco - Jul 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM

“I’ve seen him play. As Lakers fan I’m more worried about him than any team the East can offer.”- Renato Afonso
    Yea,Renato, he is a baby faced killer alright. Just like a Jaguar he is as dangerous as they come. Also the fact that he has been imitating Tim Duncan since he was a teen. With this in mind, you know that one he gets a grasp of NBA Spurs basketball, he will be a great one!

8. Sergio - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Spurs to the Finals next year…not against the HEAT….. The HEAT will barely make the 1st round of the play-offs!!! mark my words!

9. philip fletcher - Jul 16, 2010 at 5:10 PM

How about these numbers in 28 minute average 15 points 7.5 rebounds, in 55 games. Excellent defender, quick and physical, loves pick and roll, defends pick and roll better than 90% of the bigs already in the league. Looks like it could be 23 points and 11 rebounds in 39 minutes average.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches