Fear DeMarcus Cousins, for he is a beast

Jul 13, 2010, 12:31 AM EST

Thumbnail image for cousins_no1.jpgHow did this guy fall to No. 5 again?

One Summer League game is a meaninglessly small sample size. But it was big enough to make you realize this — DeMarcus Cousins could be a beast in the NBA. He is a big man in a world of big men, but he has touch and feel.

Cousins finished with 14 points and 10 boards, showed great footwork, was strong on the block, worked hard on defense most of the time, had good moves and even a face-up game not seen at Kentucky this year.

“I was very nervous in the beginning, I really didn’t know what to expect, I didn’t know how I would manage through the game,” Cousins said. “But it came pretty easy.”

He didn’t look nervous, he looked like a guy having fun. Talking trash to Edgar Sosa. Getting out and running. Making the right play — he got doubled on the block early and he make the right pass out of the double to the shooter multiple times. He’s a gifted passer, and the fact he was a big man who passed out of the block at Summer League alone made him stand out.

At a couple times, he was having too much fun.

“He forced it a couple times, he tried to dribble it up the court, but, give it to your point guard DeMarcus and get your big butt down on the box,” said Sacramento Summer League coach Mario Elie.

Cousins even tried to show off his mid-range game for Elie. And he’s not the outside shooter Elie was (who is?) but he hit shots doing it. Cousins’ jumper release is a little low and the follow through needs to be better (or exist) but if he’s close now he could be good enough to really make you respect him outside the paint.

“I’ve had (and outside shot), but coach Cal didn’t need me to do that at UK, now I just go do what I do,” Cousins said.

It was easy to picture the Sacramento offense next season: Tyreke Evans coming off the high Cousins pick. It’s going to be brutal to stop. Evans can get into the lane with anyone, but show out hard to take that away and Cousins is rolling hard (or popping out off a flat screen).

Sacramento is going to be a lot of fun this year.

1. joe - Jul 13, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Kurt is an amateur writer at best.

2. Hmm - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:04 AM

One meaningless summer league game with absolutely no defense being played is not a measuring stick for how he’s going to be.. Amateur writer is right!

3. Kurt Helin - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Joe, hmmm: I was sitting between two scouts who were saying the same thing I was thinking and wrote. We shall see. One game is a small sample size but this guy could be the best (or second after Wall) pick in this draft.

4. Donna - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I know this kid very well, he played high school ball with my son, used to hang out at my house at times playing ball in my driveway. He had some serious issues with authority when in high school because of all the attention he recieved and being pampered by the coach. The teachers used to get pissed because he had that “you can’t touch me” mentality as he knew if things got tough the coach would get the others off his back.
    I hope he makes it! With age comes wisdom they say and just maybe he’ll realize even the big name pros have to take orders and follow someone else’s rules!
    Good luck Demarcus! Birmingham is pulling for ya!!

5. psv - Jul 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM

He dropped because his attitude reminded people of Derrick Coleman. Show up out of shape to potential employers and how else are you going to be perceived? With a better attitude he could’ve been drafted higher. He should be thankful he didn’t slide further than fifth.

6. Nate - Jul 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM

He showed up to “potential employers” in the best shape of his life. Having 12% body fat does not make someone out of shape, but its a lot easier to parrot what over people say than forming your own opinions I guess.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches