Jul 13, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks are trying to decide if they want to take on Shquille O’Neal and all that comes with him. But their star player has weighed in on that:
“I want Shaq.”
The question is, do the Mavericks really need him? They just signed Brendan Haywood to a five-year deal, and at this point he is a better center than Shaq. Haywood starts, which mean’s Shaq off the bench. Would that happen quietly? How big a distraction are we talking? Shaq sized?
The Mavericks also are still in the running to get Al Jefferson out of Minnesota, although they slipped behind the Jazz in that race.
There are rumors that Shaq is being considered in Miami, but our own Ira Winderman tweets that any noise of interest there is coming from the Shaq side, not the Heat side.
Shaq wants to play two more years and is still a useful backup center. He shot 56 percent last year and can still rebound well. He’s a big body in the paint, and Dallas could use that trying to match up with the Lakers (Miami could use it to, trying to match up with Boston and Orlando).
But with Shaq comes some media attention and his large personality, which may not blend well some places. He’s going to make headlines and noise, he likes the limelight. Is the tradeoff worth it?
Dirk thinks so.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61