Jul 13, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks are trying to decide if they want to take on Shquille O’Neal and all that comes with him. But their star player has weighed in on that:
“I want Shaq.”
The question is, do the Mavericks really need him? They just signed Brendan Haywood to a five-year deal, and at this point he is a better center than Shaq. Haywood starts, which mean’s Shaq off the bench. Would that happen quietly? How big a distraction are we talking? Shaq sized?
The Mavericks also are still in the running to get Al Jefferson out of Minnesota, although they slipped behind the Jazz in that race.
There are rumors that Shaq is being considered in Miami, but our own Ira Winderman tweets that any noise of interest there is coming from the Shaq side, not the Heat side.
Shaq wants to play two more years and is still a useful backup center. He shot 56 percent last year and can still rebound well. He’s a big body in the paint, and Dallas could use that trying to match up with the Lakers (Miami could use it to, trying to match up with Boston and Orlando).
But with Shaq comes some media attention and his large personality, which may not blend well some places. He’s going to make headlines and noise, he likes the limelight. Is the tradeoff worth it?
Dirk thinks so.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 75
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32