Jul 13, 2010, 3:19 PM EDT
Not all trades are thrilling.
Case in point: The Dallas Mavericks are sending the Erick Dampier, Matt Carroll and Eduardo Najara to the Charlotte Bobcats for Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Dampier’s expiring deal was the big carrot the Mavericks had this summer, and they just spent it on a backup center. Not what we expected at all. There had to be a better option out there, didn’t there?
For the Bobcats this saves money, Dampier’s $13 million contract is not guaranteed. Expect news that he has been waived to come across the wire minutes after the trade is complete. The delicious irony is Charlotte has to take back the remaining three-years, $11.5 million that should never have given Carroll in the first place.
Dallas gets a Chandler who has never quite been right since his injuries but can provide solid backup minutes behind starter Brendan Haywood.
Ajinca has shown growth and impressed in Summer League. The guy has always had an NBA body but he’d make so many mistakes he could never get off the bench. Granted, this is Summer League, but his decision making seemed better. He went after rebounds more aggressively, as well. He should get a little burn to start to see if he can make it happen at the NBA level.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 0
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 13
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 18
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 25
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10