Jul 13, 2010, 3:19 PM EST
Not all trades are thrilling.
Case in point: The Dallas Mavericks are sending the Erick Dampier, Matt Carroll and Eduardo Najara to the Charlotte Bobcats for Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Dampier’s expiring deal was the big carrot the Mavericks had this summer, and they just spent it on a backup center. Not what we expected at all. There had to be a better option out there, didn’t there?
For the Bobcats this saves money, Dampier’s $13 million contract is not guaranteed. Expect news that he has been waived to come across the wire minutes after the trade is complete. The delicious irony is Charlotte has to take back the remaining three-years, $11.5 million that should never have given Carroll in the first place.
Dallas gets a Chandler who has never quite been right since his injuries but can provide solid backup minutes behind starter Brendan Haywood.
Ajinca has shown growth and impressed in Summer League. The guy has always had an NBA body but he’d make so many mistakes he could never get off the bench. Granted, this is Summer League, but his decision making seemed better. He went after rebounds more aggressively, as well. He should get a little burn to start to see if he can make it happen at the NBA level.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 0
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1