Jul 13, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT
I was not invited to Carmelo Anthony’s wedding. Yes, I am disappointed, but I may send him a toaster anyway.
So I certainly didn’t hear this first hand. Neither did the New York Post, which reported about statements there they got it from a person at the wedding. So, to recap: Second hand information from the New York Post. Sprinkle liberally with salt.
That said, Chris Paul allegedly made a toast about a big three in New York — CP3, Carmelo and Amar’e Stoudemire.
According to a person who spoke with wedding attendee Amar’e Stoudemire, Paul made the reference during a speech of a potential union of himself, Stoudemire and Anthony, saying, “We’ll form our own Big 3,” Paul allegedly said.
There are some serious logistical problems with this, of course, even with Stoudemire already inked. Chris Paul can be a free agent the summer of 2012. Whether or not the Hornets entertain trading him before then is dependant on the slow-going sale of the team.
Anthony could be a free agent next summer, but he would have to walk away from a three-year, $65 million extension. Then he would have to negotiate a new deal under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Basically, he’d have to leave millions of dollars on the table.
So, it’s unlikely. Very unlikely. But so was Miami. I’m not making any more predictions.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 27
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 7
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22