Jul 13, 2010, 12:12 PM EST
I was not invited to Carmelo Anthony’s wedding. Yes, I am disappointed, but I may send him a toaster anyway.
So I certainly didn’t hear this first hand. Neither did the New York Post, which reported about statements there they got it from a person at the wedding. So, to recap: Second hand information from the New York Post. Sprinkle liberally with salt.
That said, Chris Paul allegedly made a toast about a big three in New York — CP3, Carmelo and Amar’e Stoudemire.
According to a person who spoke with wedding attendee Amar’e Stoudemire, Paul made the reference during a speech of a potential union of himself, Stoudemire and Anthony, saying, “We’ll form our own Big 3,” Paul allegedly said.
There are some serious logistical problems with this, of course, even with Stoudemire already inked. Chris Paul can be a free agent the summer of 2012. Whether or not the Hornets entertain trading him before then is dependant on the slow-going sale of the team.
Anthony could be a free agent next summer, but he would have to walk away from a three-year, $65 million extension. Then he would have to negotiate a new deal under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Basically, he’d have to leave millions of dollars on the table.
So, it’s unlikely. Very unlikely. But so was Miami. I’m not making any more predictions.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8