Jul 13, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT
I was not invited to Carmelo Anthony’s wedding. Yes, I am disappointed, but I may send him a toaster anyway.
So I certainly didn’t hear this first hand. Neither did the New York Post, which reported about statements there they got it from a person at the wedding. So, to recap: Second hand information from the New York Post. Sprinkle liberally with salt.
That said, Chris Paul allegedly made a toast about a big three in New York — CP3, Carmelo and Amar’e Stoudemire.
According to a person who spoke with wedding attendee Amar’e Stoudemire, Paul made the reference during a speech of a potential union of himself, Stoudemire and Anthony, saying, “We’ll form our own Big 3,” Paul allegedly said.
There are some serious logistical problems with this, of course, even with Stoudemire already inked. Chris Paul can be a free agent the summer of 2012. Whether or not the Hornets entertain trading him before then is dependant on the slow-going sale of the team.
Anthony could be a free agent next summer, but he would have to walk away from a three-year, $65 million extension. Then he would have to negotiate a new deal under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Basically, he’d have to leave millions of dollars on the table.
So, it’s unlikely. Very unlikely. But so was Miami. I’m not making any more predictions.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31