Jul 12, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
Anthony Morrow is being allowed to walk to New Jersey. Anthony Randolph will not be back next year, shipped out as part of a deal for the much more expensive David Lee (who had said he was excited by playing with Morrow, sorry man).
It’s hard to understand exactly what the grand plan is of the current ownership of the Golden State Warriors. Fortunately that time seems to be coming to an end soon.
Two finalists have emerged as the leaders to buy the franchise, according to the Oakland Tribune. Final changes to sale agreement are being done and a winning bidder could be in place by August, a new owner by the start of the season.
Which matters. The new owner (whoever it is) will bring in a new front office, a new coach and a new system. Getting that in place matters — it’s impossible to build a team without knowing how they are going to play. It leads to odd decisions, or moves just to save cash. There is still a good young core in Golden State — Stephen Curry, Monta Ellis, now Lee and good role players like Reggie Williams — but they need to start building toward something specific.
What we don’t know is who the final two bidders are. We do know the final four: the favorite has to be Oracle billionaire Larry Ellison, who has teamed with the existing minority owners of the Warriors; there is one led by Mark Mastrov, the founder of 24-Hour Fitness; a group with Wall Street financier David Bonderman at the head; and one led by Peter Guber, the chairman of the Mandalay Bay Entertainment Group.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31