Jul 12, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Derek Fisher was coming back to the Lakers.
He flirted with Miami, but they could offer even less money than the Lakers. And more than money, it was about comfort. He fits well in the triangle. He could win titles in L.A. And Kobe Bryant wanted him back. It was going to happen.
But for three years?
That’s what Fisher himself reports on his Web site.
“I have decided to continue with Kobe, continue with our teammates and the fans of Los Angeles. While this may not be the most lucrative contract I’ve been offered this off-season, it is the most valuable. I am confident I will continue to lead this team on and off the court. Let the hunt for six begin.
The Lakers signed Steve Blake this off-season and expect him to get the bulk of the minutes at the point this season. Even if Fisher starts. That’s because Blake is a much better player than Fisher at this point in their careers — Fisher shot just 38 percent last season and was consistently burned on defense in the regular season.
But in the playoffs, Fisher is one of those guys who finds another level. The Lakers ran into Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook and none of them destroyed the Lakers. Fisher did a good job forcing them to help. He hit his shots.
In the locker room, Fisher is the steady, positive influence to Kobe’s hard-driving personality. Kobe is the bad cop, Fisher is the good cop. It’s key, and Kobe knew that and lobbied for Fisher to get a new deal.
Still, three years?
Fisher’s skills are deteriorating and he will turn 39 by the end of this contract. We don’t know what the Lakers will be paying, but this is a three-year deal with Fisher having the option in the last year. That keeps him around through the rest of this run with Kobe and Pau Gasol.
For three years.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 2
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 16
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 12
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25