Jul 10, 2010, 5:07 PM EDT
When the Nets struck out in the Free Agency Summer of Doom, they had to figure out someway to fill out the roster. They drafted Derrick Favors because he was the smart choice, if not the most talented. And since then? They’ve been a little odd.
Signing Travis Outlaw. Okay, sure. You need a wing with Terrence Williams being much better as a 2. Sure thing. Granted, not the marquee guy you look for, but hey, a good upgrade over nothing.
Signing Anthony Morrow. Morrow was high atop my list of value-oriented free agents. He’s one of the most accurate three point shooters in the NBA, as Mr. Krolik alerted you to. But the Nets seem like an odd destination. Morrow could have been the final piece of a championship puzzle, and instead the Nets have brought on a fairly one-sided player who will need to play excellent man-defense, something he’s not elite at, at a position loaded with hyper-athletic playmakers.
Signed Johan Petro. That’s right. Johan Petro. For three years and $10 million dollars. They gave Johan Petro $10 million. That just doesn’t make sense in any fashion. He averaged a double-double per 36 minutes. But he also had a PER of 10, which is, quite simply, not good.
It’s not that the Nets signing were terrible. I mean, it wasn’t David Kahn-level or anything. But when you look at what they’ve done, and the fact that most decisions were made by a GM on his way out the door, there’s going to be some questions. But I’ll keep telling myself what Kurt said. Patience.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 8
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 17
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3