LeBron on Gilbert's comments: "I absolutely know I made the right decision"

Jul 10, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT

Man, is this going to get awkward.

At the press-conference… and I use that term loosely, to introduce LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh as the new Heat triumvirate yesterday, LeBron reacted to Gilbert’s diatribe comments in his letter to the fans of Cleveland (and subsequent interviews).

Courtesy of Heat blog Peninsula is Mightier on the scene (audio here):

“And to also hear my former owners’ comments, I absolutely know I made the right decision.”

Well, then.

This is an ugly, messy situation in which neither side is making things any easier. Gilbert’s ruining his respectability and looks petty and small, LeBron looks petty for responding to it. Wade has said he feels terrible for what he did to Cleveland, but at the same time, as long as he keeps making any statement or movement that drives the dagger deeper, those comments will be overridden. .

And so it goes. No amicable split, no chance of a future reunion. No quarter given, none taken.

And the people that really suffer from all this, the fans of the Cavs, get to wake every day with the latest reminder of what they consider is the biggest betrayal of all.

203 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. wilt the stilt - Jul 11, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Back in the day when I was playing, I played for several teams and won championships. Money wasn’t the reason. Man, I had 10,0000 women. Why can’t the NBA player today be like me.

2. Hypocrisy 101 - Jul 11, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Are you guys serious here? You come onto an article about basketball and one of it’s players and expect to hear about world news? You say you are uninterested in everything that is said on this forum and yet you read it and respond? Look, this is about a specific story in SPORTS! Why in the world would you come here and litter the forum with your rants if you are not interested in the story this forum plays off of? People like you are the reason that this world is so messed up in the first place. You want to look like you are so righteous and the rest of us are bad by coming on to this forum and blasting everyone for caring about it. Maybe if you put your morals and ethics into action instead of ‘wasting’ your time here, things might be different.

3. FDJLakers - Jul 11, 2010 at 1:25 AM

NEWS FLASH FOR MIAMI: The Lakers will be the only team in NBA history to have won 4 championships in a row, and will, at the same time, give Kobe one more ring than MJ. For those who can’t add, that means two more championships, one in 2011 and one in 2012.
    Miami won’t even make the Eastern Finals this year, but they might in 2012. I’d crack up if Cleveland somehow managed to get further into the playoffs this coming year than Miami. What’ll Lebron’s excuse be then?
    Don’t laugh too hard at this possibility. It’s amazing what players can accomplish when they are motivated by not only their competitive nature, but by their emotions that are deep and strong. Remember how the Boston fans attacked the Lakers’ bus after the Celtic defeated them in 2008? Such humiliation made it so that Farmar said he wouldn’t wear green again until they had their revenge. I am sure those memories were part of the Lakers’ efforts after they were down 3-2 and going back to the Staples Center.
    GO LAKERS! 3-PEAT IN 2011!

4. BT - Jul 11, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Seven years in a city that is the Cream Of the Crap, Miami will be a great improvement. On to the 2010 season, no more tears.

5. Sheamus! - Jul 11, 2010 at 2:22 AM

LOL “the damn knicks”…a new york hater eh?

6. duddits - Jul 11, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Your comments are pertinent and meaningful until you resorted to your comments about a “money whore” you should have stuck with the excellent prose and example stayed away from the profanity and other assinine cracks.

7. ANON - Jul 11, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Lemonverbeena,
    Dan Gilbert is the only one at fault here. He knew this day was coming. Miami knew this day was coming and made sure Wade did not walk or not walk without a fight. LA made sure Kobe got what he wanted. Gilbert hired Danny Ferry and is responsible and obviously approved of his handling and mis-managing all the blown expiring contracts that passed thru Cleveland the past three years that would have provided the needed cap space to bring some quality stars to his team. Gilbert is responsible for allowing Mike Brown to lead this team to back to back playoff losses getting badly out coached both years. Amare Stoudemire was available at the trading deadline, Stephen Jackson at the start of the season. What did James get? Shack and Jamison. Gilbert is in charge and the buck stops at his desk. Gilbert is playing you the fans of Cleveland by pointing the finger at his player. James does not hire or pay any salaries on that team. To get the right teammate we see that he is willing to take less money. I am sorry that your city lost its superstar. I am from Chicago. I remember losing my childhood idol Bobby Hull because Old Man Bill Wirtz would’nt pay him his worth. We lost JR and the Eagle as well. LeBron was not showing Cleveland up on TV. He is the biggest star in the NBA, and everyone wants a piece of him. If he is going to be sold (and he is going to be sold) at least he gave the money to the kids. More importantly he showed that although this is all about business to some it is not all about money to others. Cleveland fans are not LeBron James fans why? It seems so many of you only feel your disappointment. I was and am still a Bobby Hull fan. The Seattle fans are still Ken Griffey fans. The Green Bay fans still love Brett. LeBron didn’t do you wrong or lead you on. He said plainly he was keeping his options open. He said plainly winning championships was his number one priority. Dan Gilbert is to blame for Cleveland losing their home town hero. I did not hear the uproar when hometown boy Brady Quinn was dismissed. It is a different story when ownership is disloyal. To make their club better the Brown’s had every right to get rid of Quinn even after denying their intent to do so. Look a little closer at Dan Gilbert. Behind all that screaming he is trying to hide his incompetence. Why would he want a quitter on his team? Dan Gilbert is to blame and he is a coward to blame anyone else.

8. Real Basketball Fan - Jul 11, 2010 at 7:06 AM

You mean that same Larry Bird and Magic Johnson who came into the league to teams that included Hall of fame players named Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Kareem Abdul-Jabar, James Worthy, etc. already? Just checking.Kind of hard to build teams when they’re already built. Name me the comparable player on the Cavs roster. I know I’ll get crickets on that question, but I’ll wait.
    Also, are you talking about that same Kobee Bryant that was playing along side the most dominant player of this era against Detroit, but absolutely was erased by Tashun Prince in a 5 game Finals’ demolition. I’m just checking. Hmmm, think that team also included Gary payton and Karl Malone with the league’s best record, the same Shaq and Gary Payton who won the title 2 years later with Miami, but I digress. Also, I think Kobee was paired up with Shaq, again the most dominant player of this era, from day one, so hardly had to worry about the Lakers bringing another star in to paier with him, not to mention that he was just screaming for a trade, a couple of years ago while still under contract mind you (which LBJ was not), because he didn’t have any help around him. So you probably want to revise your list to some other players to frame your quite absurd position, buddy.
    You Cleveland losers are too easy to pick on and poke holes in your flawed mind sets. I guess that’s when you’re born a loser, you think that way, lol. I can’t believe he didn’t choose to stay there.

9. fiveiron - Jul 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Parish and McHale joined the Celtics after Bird was already there. Worthy got to the Lakers three years after Magic Johnson.

10. cavsgirl - Jul 11, 2010 at 9:31 AM

What this all comes down to is this. LeBron went on live television (Larry King) and announced Cleveland had the edge. He announced during the process that he was going to make his decision on Monday the 5th verbally. So far he’s 0 for two on verbal promises to go along with the one he promised when he joined Cleveland …that he was here until he brought the city a championship. 0 for 3. Whether or not he had any problems with Dan Gilbert or not what this 25 year old – who trusts his reputation and career to a bunch of other uneducated 25 year olds – did was to tank his brand, reputation and credibility. He’s now sold himself as a follower rather than the leader. He was publicly courting Chris Bosh to come to Cleveland. He found out he doesn’t have enough pull on his own so now he’s become the court jester rather than the King. I bet his management team didn’t think about the fact that he’s now lost all of his Chinese based revenues because the Heat isn’t partially owned by the Chinese. If you aren’t owned by China you can’t market in China (not to mention they don’t take public signs of disloyalty well either). He also won’t be able to use his brand of the “king” very well. I don’t see D’Wade or Chris Bosh being OK with it becoming the King and his court in Miami. …and a pay cut to go to Miami, I think not. Take a look at the differences in the taxes between Miami and Ohio. He’s making money to go there so don’t believe all the hype on that topic. I did, however, find it interesting that LeBron’s ego not only needed to be front and center in this trio so much that he did a nationally televised announcement but he is already on record saying he was going to take “MY” team to a championship in Miami. Pretty sure it’s D’Wade’s team. Now I am fine with his free agent choice because it is his choice, just not the way he treated the people who raised him up these past seven years. We supported his through his good and bad. The bad being when he “quit” during the playoffs. LeBron has had bad games before but he was mentally absent (as evidenced by passing to people who weren’t there and repeatedly dribbling the ball off his own foot). Great players play through adversity. He was not a great player in the playoffs. He’s shown now that he isn’t a great player and that he doesn’t have it to lead a team to a championship on his own like all the greats that he wanted to be better than. Those greats were supported by their fans and they stayed true to their fans by making decisions in classy ways. This process has shown his is classless. It is the fans that make or break your success; I’m not sure he’s learned that lesson yet. As for Dan Gilbert, he should have taken a huge deep breath, but what I can say is the guy is real. He didn’t even get told personally by LeBron that he was leaving. LeBron had one of his “management buddies from school” call Dan 2 minutes before it was aired on national television. Again, classless. Dan should have taken the high road, but I am OK with the fact that he’s pretty much said no more prima donnas may apply. As a city we don’t want or need the super egos. He’s saying he’s willing to pay good money to people who want to play as a team. There is no “I” in team. The CAVS did just fine when LeBron rode the bench during the last season. Did they win them all, no, but they did win most without him. LeBron was not the Cavaliers. He was a member of a team. No one seems to remember that…most of all him.

11. fiveiron - Jul 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Now, THAT was a good post.

12. Bshizzle - Jul 11, 2010 at 10:30 AM

OK. Sprewell choked a coach went to the Knicks became a hero here in NYC Rodriguez on Steroids win a championship and now he is great again too. All Lebron has to do is win. To build a team around those 3 guys to win a championship does not take Genius. Not to mention we have a genius in the front office, Riley. Believe me Lebron will be loved again pretty soon maybe next year when he averages a triple double.not done since Oscar. As far as Gilbert talking about what hes done for Lebron, lets be serious if Lebron went to Minnesota you think that owner would not have done all of the same thing. Lets be serious what ever you did for him was expected because of who he is. Sorry the dude is great. For you guys who says he isn’t be serious I am a laker fan. Lebron is ridiculous player and that is just the way it is. For those of you from Cleveland who seem to think Gilbert is champion of your cause, he isn’t. The value of that Franchise just dropped considerably. Question to anyone who may question my thinking if you just lost 100-200 million dollars wouldnt you be mad too

13. Carolina - Jul 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I agree with Ranj 100%. Instead of focusing attention on some mega rich athlete who spent precious air time talking about his own trivial pursuits, he should have spent that time to bring attention to the nation all the lives being lost in the Middle east, the oil crisis that will totally change marine and human life as we know it and so many other important issues that need to be addressed. Shame on the media and Shame on Lebron for a disgraceful media circus.

14. chokes - Jul 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Watch the playoff games against Boston ,All I will say is CHOKE !!!!!he Chokes in the playoffs every year ,Lookat the games LOOk at the games from past years.You will Def get to the Playoffs Miami -Hope he does not Choke for You.Its the way he left On national TV .What if it was your team ,put your self in our shoes.

15. cavsgirl - Jul 11, 2010 at 11:33 AM

If you can read you will see that I had no problem with his leaving; just his lack of class in the process. Seeing your vocabulary consists of predominantly “four letter words” which also lacks class it is no shock you could not comprehend the message.

16. fiveiron - Jul 11, 2010 at 12:09 PM

You made an incorrect statement and I corrected it. All you had to do was look it up, dumbass.

17. Anonymous - Jul 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM

You are missing some serious basketball I.Q. I am from East Chicago, IN (Northwest Indiana), and have been a life-long Chicago Bulls fan. Please go back two years before the Bulls won their first Championship, or to MJ rookie season with the Bulls, and see what he had to work with. No YOU did not notice the Bulls until they started winning. Michael was with the Bulls about eight years replacing coaches, and players, until they got the right mix, and then they dominated the NBA. Michael was known as a scorer because he truly didn’t have any teammates that could finish. Google the Bulls history, and you will find out that until their first championship, there were continuous trades and deals. Michael however accepted the challenge of leading the Bulls. Bird accepted the Challenge of leading the Celtics. Magic accepted the challenge of leading the Lakers. So please, check your history. Lebron admitted that he could not lead the Cavs to a championship (how could Cleveland be so bad if they made it to Eastern Conference Champs, NBA Finals). The owner can’t play for you.

18. Anonymous - Jul 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM

My thoughts exactly. Cleveland, you guys will be just fine. Win one before the Heat, remain to be seen, but so is the heat three, and four in a row. I am sure Boston, Orlando, The NBA Champion Lakers, and every other NBA team would take exception to that nonsense. Do you really believe any team is going to allow the Heat to come in and roll over them? That is what got Lebron ego checked with Boston. As Michael Jordan used to say; We have it, you want it, you have to TAKE the championship. They’re not donating to charity.

19. cavsgirl - Jul 11, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Only time will tell who is closest to being right in this banter. We all have our own opinions which will not be changed by a berating blog message. Again, out of respect for the other readers of this blog, please clean up your language.

20. Anonymous - Jul 11, 2010 at 12:55 PM

ps: I love sports – just not primadonnas

21. I have read some very very dumb comments here today. But I suppose being bias and closed minded is n - Jul 11, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I have read some very very dumb comments here today. But I suppose being bias and closed minded is not as bad as what you people say Lebron James did to the city of Cleveland. I just wonder has the Calvs attendance gone up over the last seven years. Did the club owner make money because of Lebron’s presence on his team. I also wonder has Lebron helped the city’s economy over his stay there. How much of his own money has he pumped into the economy there. Ponder these questions then come back and tell me what does Lebron owe Cleveland?

22. SJ - Jul 11, 2010 at 1:14 PM

23. Real Basketball Fan - Jul 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Lady, please. Tell those redneck punks using racist vernacular and the n word on this blog to clean up their language. However, you choose to pinpoint me for using a couple of four letter words on a page that’s peppered with them.
    It’s not about being right. As I said earlier, I’m only a basketball fan in general, I have no dog in this fight. However, when I (a) see people downing a man for making his own decisions and being hypocritical, I have to call them out, and (b) that racist nonsense, coded and otherwise, just isn’t going to fly by with me and shouldn’t with you either. Call those people out, but I guess you didn’t see those comments. If you would rather focus in on me saying a few four letter words on a page filled with bad language and racist undertones coming from the Cleveland fans, it just underlines your pre-disposed bias to the whole situation and you can stop replying to any of my comments because you’re obviously an irrational person like the rest of the Cleveland nuts, which I pretty much gather from your original post and silly argument.

24. Anonymous - Jul 11, 2010 at 1:41 PM

lol you spelled student wrong mr. A+ LOL JK

25. Tallfella - Jul 11, 2010 at 1:58 PM

All that’s stuff is in the News section of papers & news sites. Reading Sports is how some of us escape that.
    So quit being a DB and reminding us of what we already know. It is obvivious you’re making errant assumptions, so go rant on political comment pages and the Huffington Post and spare us Sports Fan(atic)s your ridiculous diatribes!

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches