LeBron on Gilbert's comments: "I absolutely know I made the right decision"

Jul 10, 2010, 11:47 AM EST

Man, is this going to get awkward.

At the press-conference… and I use that term loosely, to introduce LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh as the new Heat triumvirate yesterday, LeBron reacted to Gilbert’s diatribe comments in his letter to the fans of Cleveland (and subsequent interviews).

Courtesy of Heat blog Peninsula is Mightier on the scene (audio here):

“And to also hear my former owners’ comments, I absolutely know I made the right decision.”

Well, then.

This is an ugly, messy situation in which neither side is making things any easier. Gilbert’s ruining his respectability and looks petty and small, LeBron looks petty for responding to it. Wade has said he feels terrible for what he did to Cleveland, but at the same time, as long as he keeps making any statement or movement that drives the dagger deeper, those comments will be overridden. .

And so it goes. No amicable split, no chance of a future reunion. No quarter given, none taken.

And the people that really suffer from all this, the fans of the Cavs, get to wake every day with the latest reminder of what they consider is the biggest betrayal of all.

203 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Jimmy - Jul 10, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I was talking to a friend about this the other day. The thing that shocks me the most is not LeBron leaving, but the fact that Cleveland did little to entice him to stay. You can’t tell me that having public officials put together a horrible excuse of a “song” would make him want to stay. I don’t believe Cleveland was in any serious talks with any free agent to try and get him to stay. They had the same opportunities to sign the likes of Amare, Bosh, Wade, Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Boozer, and so on. I didn’t hear anyone invited to talk to Cleveland. So if Cleveland is not going to improve its chances of winning a title, why would LeBron want to stay? It was proven that LBJ could not win a title with the likes of Mo Williams and the Big Shaq-tus. He gave it 7 years. He had it in his mind that he would have at least 1 title by now. Do I think that Miami was the best place to go? No, but Miami showed that they were committed to be better and go after a title. I am a Mavericks fan, but I thought the perfect place for LBJ was Chicago with Rose, Noah, and Boozer.

2. Lemonverbeena - Jul 10, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Miami is a bug ridden, crime ridden, overpopulated sess pool (and yes, I’ve been there and I personally don’t see the draw at all). I can think of a million places I would rather live so if this is your argument for a move, it’s weak at best. Oh, and soon you can add tar balls to your beaches… niiiiiiice.

3. FDJLakers - Jul 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM

When Shaq left L.A., Laker fans did not HATE him with the intensity that CAV fans seem to hate Lebron. Maybe it is because it wasn’t that personal with Shaq. We all knew it was a choice between Kobe and Shaq, and we’d rather have Kobe. Yes, Shaq was booed when he would play at the Staples Center. But that was only because he was part of a championship team that was ripped apart, leaving the team in shambles and in need of serious rebuilding. A little while ago it was rumored that Shaq might return to L.A. I think most Laker fans would welcome him back with open arms, assuming he could still run up and down the floor.
    By the way, it’s so very nice to have Pau who can make free-throws, dribble the ball, handle the ball like a point-guard, make baskets further than 5 feet away, and even make 3-pointers!

4. scripts - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Uh.. that’s “won,” not “one.” Jesus.

5. Lemonverbeena - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I hope so much you’re right. I have never been a Laker fan, but I’m kinda liking you guys more and more. I hope you kick their behinds on Christmas.

6. JoJo is Smiling - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM

If Dilbert, oops Gilbert thought Lebron was a quitter, why did he make such an effor to keep him and why would he be sooooooo upset that he left.
    He took a franchise that was devastated and made it worthless! What athelete would want to play for an owner like that?

7. Danny - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Thank you! finally someone else who wonders why Lebron James really matters.

8. Go Heat - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM

the point i was trying to make is that Shaq was the Finals MVP for all three of the 1st three championships that the Lakers won, and Kobe was second fiddle. now he has Pau Gasol, Ron Artest, etc etc. so you mean to tell me that KOBE “stuck it out” and won a ring on his own???? that’s the most ridiculous statement ever!!!
    and as for Sir Charles saying that “if he was 25 years old, he would stay???” Sir Charles demanded a traded from the 76ers after 8 seasons because they couldn’t get it done. and how many rings did he end up with to end his career!
    Is loyalty to the city that your grew up in and put on the map for 7 years more important that a “chance” to win an NBA championship???? I don’t think so
    and even though no one is saying it, everyone in the league and out of the league knows that Lebron would have NEVER won a title in Cleveland!!!!

9. kenny - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Danny cannot guarantty anything,Lebron is gone and it is his right to go anywhere he feel like going,Danny shut up and think of how to make ur team better and let me tell u,Lebron will win more than three championship before ur team get to the play off again.Go Lebron,Wade and Bosh

10. Micdee - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I didn’t know that Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban were brothers.

11. Montana - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Where is David Stern here? Ah, jews only care about money. Dan Gilbert owns the team. He can do and say as he pleases. Pat Riley bought yet another championship just like he did when he was with the lakers. The lakers have never earned anything. Go back and look. This commissioner has made sure now that all of his media cities will be good. That is what he and that other jag-off commissioner, bud selig have wanted with stern even saying it a few times. Why watch the NBA anymore. Actually, now that LeBumb has left Cleveland, I don’t have to watch the Nothing But Africans league!

12. caroyln - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I agree..why should anyone care…I am sick of it and all the rest of the mess. It simply is not important. Children being abused, hungry and homeless…our, husbands, wives, brothers, sisters and children dying in endless wars… and an oil spill that will affect our grandchildres children….so much more to focus our energy on than where one man plays ball.

13. OHIO SUX! KOBE TOO! - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:58 PM

After they burn the LeBron T shirts, and take down all of his pictures, they should tear the stadium down too.. Its worthless now!! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! ha!

14. Pghguy - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I have no NBA affiliation living in a city without an NBA team but therbest comment that I heard was someone said they wish LeBron had said he decide to go to Ohio State to get an education.

15. FDJLakers - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Yes, Kobe “stuck it out” in L.A. while he argued and argued with the management about getting serious about winning……to the point of even thinking about leaving if things did not change. The Laker’s management did not give Kobe everything he wanted (case in point: Bynum). But Kobe fought to get the Lakers franchise to understand how to get a championship.
    No, I don’t for a minute believe Kobe got a ring on his own, and I never said that. It takes a TEAM to get a ring. Before Pau joined in 2008, and Fisher came back, Kobe was essentially alone with no one to really trust to get the job done if he didn’t. But Kobe has been a great leader of this team, getting his team mates motivated and involved, and then taking over a game when necessary.
    I also never said that Lebron should have stayed in Cleveland out of loyalty. What I said was that the way in which he exited was classless, and openly, needlessly, and selfishly embarrassed his home state.
    I disagree with your last statement. Cleveland could have beaten Boston this last year, but Lebron gave up in the middle of the games and played with a loser’s attitude. Of course, the Lakers would have probably beaten Cleveland anyway, but at least they had a shot with a team that had the best record in the NBA. (Remember, it was home court advantage that came to the rescue of the Lakers in the end against Boston. We would not have had that advantage if we were playing Cleveland instead. Although I like to think the Lakers would have won anyway……who knows what would have happened?
    Personally, I don’t really care where Lebron plays. I’m a little jealous that D.Wade is not with the Lakers, because he is one of the most incredible players/people in the NBA. But Lebron can go to Europe for all I care. I think Lebron is lucky to have the leader he now has in D.Wade. I only hope, for Miami’s sake, that Lebron’s ego comes down a few notches so that he realizes that he in on D.Wade’s team now, not vice versa.
    GO LAKERS! 3-PEAT IN 2011!

16. JuanJuan - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM

By teaming up and agreeing to merge at a discounted rate in order to win a championship they are essentially trying to buy a championship. I have a feeling the Heat have put a target on their chest and will be playing more focused opponents that bring their A game to defeat Miami. Good luck Miami on your attempt to buy a championship. I know I’ll be cheering for all the Cavaliers throughout the NBA. It’s been proven over and over that you have to have a talented bench when the rubber meets the court.

17. Go Heat - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:23 PM

as I said in my first post, I agree the way he left was wrong, but I think he left for the right reason. The Cleveland Cavs are not winners……never have been, never will be!! I guess the fans would have been more happy if Lebron had played 16 or 17 years in a Cavs uniform and never won. To me that seems a little selfish (but what do I know)
    Believe it or not, but I too am a Lakers fan. I think Kobe Bryant is the best player in the league right now and he didn’t get that way overnight. I also believe that Lebron has a totally different mentality than Kobe. he is a totally different player and he is chosing to attempt to achieve his ultimate goal a totally different way.
    I also believe that alot of the negativity that is being spewed on the internet has to do with the fact that people realize that the HEAT now have 2 of the top 3 players in the league and Chris Bosh is in the top 6 or 7 big men in the league. Regardless of who they fill the remainder of their roster out with, they are still going to be a force in the Eastern Conference. Even though they have to learn to play together, they will be at the top of the Eastern Conference for as many years as they want!
    oh yeah……Lakers 3-peat in 2010-2011!!

18. OhGator - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:24 PM

CLEVELAND = LOSERS – PERIOD

19. DH - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I thought this is supposed to be a TEAM, Lebron should not have to do it all by himself. What were the other players doing???What about the coach??? what about the rumors regarding his mother and the team mate???
    It looked to me like everyone gave up….
    Free agents are free to go.. Lebron did not do anything wrong.
    Cleveland needs to be thankful for the 7 years we could cheer for something.
    Cleveland, please be gracious and wish Lebron the best. He deserves it. All this ill will and name calling is hateful. What kind of city or fans are we supposed to be, to treat someone like that. You never know what will happen in the future. The media is to blame for the circus they created not Lebron.

20. Anonymous - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:27 PM

You mean like LeBron’s idiotic predictions that the Heat are gonna win 7 or more championships? Now that’s just too funny…

21. OhGator - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM

CLEVELAND = LOSERS From the economy to sports teams — there’s nothing good about Cleveland — LeBron just did what the Browns did — see how successful they’ve been away from Cleveland :)

22. Anonymous - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM

fartman

23. Lakers4Lyfe - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Who wears the pants on the new Heat team? Wade? Just curious …

24. Cordae - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:51 PM

and outta ALL those players u name, the best one was “better” than average! Come on man the best “Supporting” player he had was JJ Hickson, and he wasnt even developed! EVERYBODY u named was IRELEVANT in the playoffs! only person who some what stepped up was Mo williams! and that game 7 is the whole epitome of my argument! 29pts 19rebs and 10assist AND YOURE GETTING BLAMED FOR THE FALL! no matter what u say nobody should have to go through that! Anyone else who put up those numbers and lost would have been praised! but like you and many others fail to realize, LeBron is a mere man, not god. He cant do it himself, and as u just found out with this move, best regular season records arent ish without rings. Tell that to all those “chokers” u just named…

25. Jonz - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Geez…. what a Loser the owner is.
    James – made a capitalistic decision – he went where the market is bigger/better . So what .. Gilbert has been charging his fans for years for the leBron premium on ticket prices.. the jerseys , etc..
    Cavs are mediocre – NO chance of a ring! in otherwords perpetual losers.. when you attend a game its transactional , and hope is NOT a strategy for playoffs. Lebrons agent was smart enough to see that .
    as Dallas Mavs fan totally understand where Cleveland is.. welcome to mediocrity, you also have a loud mouth owner, who can only guarantee a good 1/2 time show – in otherwards Perpetual Losers

1 3 4 5 6 7 9

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches