Jul 9, 2010, 1:39 PM EDT
For the most part, a guy making the minimum salary in the NBA is doing so for a reason. Not the kind of reasons that help with championships.
But maybe a couple bigger names will take less money to play with Miami Thrice (is that what we’re calling them?) and Mike Miller in South Beach.
According to our own Ira Winderman, writing for the Sun Sentinel, the Heat are targeting Raja Bell, Larry Hughes, Flip Murray, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Devean George, Brian Skinner, Damien Wilkins, Trenton Hassell, Jarvis Hayes, Eddie House, Etan Thomas and Ime Udoka. They could also bring back Joel Anthony
ESPN’s Marc Stein and Chris Ford throw in a couple other names, guys who would have to take less to come: Jason Williams, Mike James and Keyon Dooling along with Earl Watson. Those four would all be making a return appearance to the Heat.
What guys they can get will go a long way to determining how quickly they can compete for a title. Even LeBron, Wade and Bosh need to be on a team with some depth to take the trophy out of Kobe Bryant and the Lakers’ hands.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 8
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73