Jul 9, 2010, 1:39 PM EST
For the most part, a guy making the minimum salary in the NBA is doing so for a reason. Not the kind of reasons that help with championships.
But maybe a couple bigger names will take less money to play with Miami Thrice (is that what we’re calling them?) and Mike Miller in South Beach.
According to our own Ira Winderman, writing for the Sun Sentinel, the Heat are targeting Raja Bell, Larry Hughes, Flip Murray, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Devean George, Brian Skinner, Damien Wilkins, Trenton Hassell, Jarvis Hayes, Eddie House, Etan Thomas and Ime Udoka. They could also bring back Joel Anthony
ESPN’s Marc Stein and Chris Ford throw in a couple other names, guys who would have to take less to come: Jason Williams, Mike James and Keyon Dooling along with Earl Watson. Those four would all be making a return appearance to the Heat.
What guys they can get will go a long way to determining how quickly they can compete for a title. Even LeBron, Wade and Bosh need to be on a team with some depth to take the trophy out of Kobe Bryant and the Lakers’ hands.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 0
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 4
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)