Jul 9, 2010, 2:45 AM EDT
Pat Riley’s work was not done when LeBron James said “Miami” Thursday night.
He made two more moves — one to free up cap space by trading away Michael Beasley to the Minnesota Timberwolves. The other was to sign Mike Miller, but doing that will necessitate the big three give back about $1 million a year each in their contracts.
The Beasley trade had to be first. The No. 2 overall pick from a couple years ago had never really developed in Miami and Riley had been trying for weeks to move Beasley and his $5 million salary for next year. Including being close to a four-team trade today to make it happen.
Then David Kahn stepped forward, according to ESPN. Minnesota was under the salary cap so they could just take on Beasley and sent back only a second round pick.
But why Minnesota wanted another power forward is a mystery. They already have Al Jefferson and Kevin Love at that spot. Oh, and they have Darko Milicic (who they just re-signed), plus Ryan Hollins and Sasha Pavlovic. Kahn has to make another trade, or the guys all have to play “rock, paper, scissors for playing time.
Back to Miami — with the cap space, the rumored deal of Mike Miller to the Heat was agreed to by all parties, according to Marc Stein at ESPN.
Salaries still need to be worked out, but the money will be about $5 million a year for five years.
What makes that interesting is that for Miller to come in then LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dayane Wade will each have to take a pay cut, down to about $15.5 million a year — about a $1 million a year drop. All three players talked about winning being their main motivation. It seems to be true.
On the court, Miller is the kind of shooter that the Heat need to spread the floor for the slashing Wade and LeBron, plus the inside game of Bosh.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 10
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48