Jul 9, 2010, 2:45 AM EDT
Pat Riley’s work was not done when LeBron James said “Miami” Thursday night.
He made two more moves — one to free up cap space by trading away Michael Beasley to the Minnesota Timberwolves. The other was to sign Mike Miller, but doing that will necessitate the big three give back about $1 million a year each in their contracts.
The Beasley trade had to be first. The No. 2 overall pick from a couple years ago had never really developed in Miami and Riley had been trying for weeks to move Beasley and his $5 million salary for next year. Including being close to a four-team trade today to make it happen.
Then David Kahn stepped forward, according to ESPN. Minnesota was under the salary cap so they could just take on Beasley and sent back only a second round pick.
But why Minnesota wanted another power forward is a mystery. They already have Al Jefferson and Kevin Love at that spot. Oh, and they have Darko Milicic (who they just re-signed), plus Ryan Hollins and Sasha Pavlovic. Kahn has to make another trade, or the guys all have to play “rock, paper, scissors for playing time.
Back to Miami — with the cap space, the rumored deal of Mike Miller to the Heat was agreed to by all parties, according to Marc Stein at ESPN.
Salaries still need to be worked out, but the money will be about $5 million a year for five years.
What makes that interesting is that for Miller to come in then LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dayane Wade will each have to take a pay cut, down to about $15.5 million a year — about a $1 million a year drop. All three players talked about winning being their main motivation. It seems to be true.
On the court, Miller is the kind of shooter that the Heat need to spread the floor for the slashing Wade and LeBron, plus the inside game of Bosh.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38