James reportedly "furious" over Gilbert's letter

Jul 9, 2010, 6:58 PM EST

After LeBron James announced he was going to sign with the Miami Heat on Thursday night, Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert wrote a scathing open letter to Cavalier fans regarding James’ departure

According to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the letter did not go unnoticed by James:
This is obvious, but word is LeBron furious over Gilbert letter. This feud isn’t over, whether it expands now depends on if LJ responds.
The Cavs-Heat rivalry was already going to be something to watch next season. If there’s animosity on both sides, this could get ugly and explosive yet. LeBron James may be done playing for Cleveland, but something tells me that it will take James and Cleveland a long time to sort out their unfinished business.
289 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. MIAMI DYNASTY - Jul 19, 2010 at 9:59 AM

WHY DID HE WANT HIM BACK IF HE WAS LAZY????

2. RJ34 - Jul 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I think a lot of you who are name calling others just because they don’t share your opinion should perhaps include yourself in the very crowd you are making fun of. Everyone out here is entitled to their opinion regardless of what it is. I personally believe there were bad things on both sides here.

3. RJ34 - Jul 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I think a lot of you who are name calling others just because they don’t share your opinion should perhaps refer yourself in the very same way. Everyone out here is entitled to their opinion regardless of what it is. I personally believe there were bad displays of judgment on both sides here. Also, there is no doubt there would be a lot of Wade haters with Heat fans had he left for Chicago.

4. matt - Jul 20, 2010 at 11:45 AM

to all the people raggin on cleveland.you guys are unbelievable.im sure you live in the best place ever right?LOSERS and as far as lebron goes,hes one person,im not a lebron fan im a cleveland fan.so what we suck but there my sucky teams win or lose cleveland is the best f the rest

5. flywithoutwings - Jul 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Why is LeBron James leaving Cleveland so shocking to so many people. LeBron James is an athlete first and foremost. An athlete’s goal is to win, as in any sport, not just baskeball. If LeBron could not fulfill that task jn Cleveland, he has ever right to go where he can achieve his dream. However, I totally agree he could have skipped the one hr. decision show. We have 2 wars going on, thousand of soldiers losing their lives, thousands more being disabled, floods, hurricanes, eartquakes, homeless people,millions unemployed, people losing their hard earned homes through foreclosure and people without badly needed health insurance. Yet, some people are so involved in the life of this one athlete. No wonder He thinks of himself as King James, what others think of you, is not nearly as important as what you think of yourself. But after being a “witness” to the vast negative reaction he has received, my view has changed. I honestly believe it would have been far worse, had he told Dan Gilbert in person of his decision to leave Cleveland Cavs. LeBron needed to be able to continue to protect and provide for his family, as well as preserve his career. Either way he could not have done this from jail. He would have had to surgically had his “leg” removed from Dan Gilbert’s ass. LeBron on the other hand, could have been leaving Gilbert’s office in handcuffs. Gilbert could have called police, stating that his life was in danger, after being choked by LeBron. So it was a wise, safe choice for LeBron to announce his decison, on live TV in the protective company of many “witnesses,” was the best “decision” he could have made.

6. Flywithoutwings - Jul 22, 2010 at 11:36 PM

This whole scenario is playing out like a bad movie. Where the hero of the movie does 10 great things, but “1” of the 10 things fail….and all some people remember, more
    vividly than any of the good that happened….is the one thing that didn’t, If every member of the Cavs and any other team was giving 100% everytime they played, then we would have no “one SuperStar” they all would be equal. They are all being paid the big bucks to perform. If you or I did not produce on our jobs, would we continue to being paid……heck no, we would be fired! Professional sports need a clause put in their contracts with the players, they say: “If you (player) stop playing up to the 100% agreement that you were “hired” for….YOU can be released, in a reasonable time, even though your contract is not up. I bet then you will start to see players start giving the 100% they were hired for. All the LeBron’s and Kobe’s of ALL professional sports, should not be the only ones giving the 100% they are being paid for. Those of us in the real world, know firsthand how it feels, to have a co-worker who is not pulling their share of the weight. Yet whenever we succeed as an office, everyone reaps the benefits. Imagine having to embrace that feeling over and over again, while continuing to give your 100% every time and when you don’t all the weight falls on your shoulders. Afer all you were hired to work as a team!!

7. Flywithoutwings - Jul 23, 2010 at 12:23 AM

You are absolutely correct Spartan and very well presented. Did Gilbert care….no,no.
    We are talking about a coach who has been at this college for well over 20 yrs. Yet Gilbert was prepared to offer him the “stars and the moon.” to take him from, the college, from the students,. from the coach’s life in that town…..Yet, some people can’t see the similarity with this situation and what the Heat did with the Cavs. It is all about business and nothing less. LeBron stopped the flowing dollars, from the fist of Dan Gilbert and he is mad as hell. Love for LeBron may have made Cleveland roll around like a giant “wheel” but “money” greases the “axle.”

8. CoreyJ - Jul 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Even with Lebron “Shames” in Miami they still havent won sh*t!!!!! And last time i checked the Boston Celtics were the Eastern conference champs… games arent won on paper especially not championships!!! Lmao Dang do i have to tell you NBA players everything????

9. arlisa williams - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I hope he is not tring to be like jordon or kobe but lebron face it he is a great player and will continue to be if he had stayed none of you would have spoke on game 5 or any other game.grow up and stop calling him childish names and face the facts Dan Gilbert is a loser and showed that to the cleveland fans with that dum,childish letter he wrote when his bank account srunk.

10. natzhawk - Aug 2, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I believe lebron james had the right and the reason to leave the cavs. Lerbon did his time in cleveland and the contract was done and finished. Cleveland had the best record and won 2 division titles. Nobody cares about that. I tell you what they care about. It’s about making money. Dan Gilbert made money. So, he wants to cry about losing lebron? Grow up dan!! You trade players all the time. I don’t see you keeping dolonte. He played well for cleveland. I don’t see cleveland getting any top players to come. When you asked they went elsewhere. So, what does that say about cleveland? Its says start over. You got lebron free and clear. Shaq and others only came because of lebron. People need to come because they want to play for cleveland not because of a player!!!!! ITS A TEAM EFFORT NOT ONE PLAYER EFFORT!!!

11. natzhawk - Aug 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM

12. natzhawk - Aug 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I believe lebron james had the right and the reason to leave the cavs. Lebron did his time in cleveland and the contract was done and finished. Cleveland had the best record and won 2 division titles. Nobody cares about that. I tell you what they care about. It’s about making money. Dan Gilbert made money. So, he wants to cry about losing lebron? Grow up dan!! You trade players all the time. I don’t see you keeping dolonte. He played well for cleveland. I don’t see cleveland getting any top players to come. When you asked they went elsewhere. So, what does that say about cleveland? Its says start over. You got lebron free and clear. Shaq and others only came because of lebron. People need to come because they want to play for cleveland not because of a player!!!!! ITS A TEAM EFFORT NOT ONE PLAYER EFFORT!!!

13. natzhawk - Aug 2, 2010 at 11:38 PM

First of all I don’t think you have a real understanding about anything. You talking about. That’s why dan gilbert got that fine. Dan, was lucky he got lebron. I’m not sure if you know what cleveland record was before lebron. I don’t see any championships or titles before then. Dan, made plenty of money off lebron. I don’t see lebron says anything about the millions of dollars the business made off of him in cleveland. So, the one thing that dan can promise is taking money from fans. If he thinks he can get a championship at the rate he’s going. He will be eat his left foot!!!…I don’t see any top players saying “Hey, I gonna go and play for cleveland!”

14. Tee - Aug 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I can’t hold my peace anymore. Lebron didn’t quit on Cleavand people they had seven years to get it together they didn’t!!!!!!!. Get the hell over it. FAKE ASS LEBRON JAMES FANS. You people are crazy & bitter. With the wrong man hence(Dan). Take some of that energy and direct it where you should (MANAGMENT)they did nothing to help Lebron get a ring. Lebron I am a true fan. I ride with ya wherever you go babe. Keep you head up.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches