Jul 9, 2010, 10:25 PM EDT
According to Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles, free agent point guard Derek Fisher will meet with Heat president Pat Riley on Saturday.
It’s clear what Fisher has to offer the Heat. Fisher is a veteran presence with championship experience, he doesn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective, he plays hard, and he’s at the point of his career where the money doesn’t really matter to him.
What isn’t as clear is what the Heat would have to offer Fisher. Fisher already plays for the defending champs. He’s a hero in Los Angeles, and joining Miami would take something away from his stratospheric approval rating in the city of angels. He’s playing for Phil Jackson in an offense designed to hide his weaknesses.
The impetus for Fisher’s meeting with Riley is likely that Lakers and Fisher are reportedly going back and forth on contract negotiations; sources have informed ProBasketballTalk Fisher and his agent want a 2-year contract worth $10 million, but the Lakers have only offered Fisher a 1-year contract worth $2.5 million. Talks are ongoing.
Between that and the Lakers’ signing of Steve Blake this off-season, it’s easy to see why Fisher may be considering his options this off-season, but I doubt this is anything more than a attempt for Fisher and his camp to get some leverage over the Lakers — it’s not like the Heat have much cap space to make Fisher a bigger offer.
The idea of playing an important role on a team that features Bosh, Wade, and James has to be an intriguing one for any veteran, but Fisher would be better off staying with the team he’s won five championships with.
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 0
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 7
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld