Jul 9, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
Media is the ultimate democracy in our profit driven world. We know exactly how many people come to this blog every day and what you read. Same with every other Web site out there. Same with television.
Don’t like something, ignore it and it goes away. If you can’t deliver viewers to advertisers, if people don’t watch, you’re gone. It’s about profit and your eyeballs are the vote.
So keep venting all you want today about “LeBron James: The Decision” and how awkward it felt, how Jim Gray was paid by LeBron’s people, How James said things like “One thing you can’t control is you never know” all you want. Bottom line, it worked.
ESPN got a 7.3 rating for the show. That was ESPN’s best non-NFL number of 2010. It is what NBA playoff conference finals draw (the NBA Finals this year were higher). It’s a bigger ratings number than LeBron got when he was in the finals.
You voted. You watched. Vitaminwater and Nike and the University of Phoenix got a lot of publicity before a lot of people.
It could have been handled far more smoothly, no doubt. It will be next time. Because with the ratings success of this you can bet there will be a next time.
ossible rookie of the year.
Maybe that is Turner. Maybe he just has to adjust and he will be fine. But it bears watching.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record