Jul 9, 2010, 6:35 PM EDT
There is the floor-spreading shooter the Bulls needed to round out their roster.
Kyle Korver has agreed to a three-year, $15 million deal with the Chicago Bulls, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
This is very good deal for Chicago.
New coach Tom Thibodeau plans to bring in a drive-and-kick offense to Chicago, with Derrick Rose slashing into the lane and Carlos Boozer getting the ball on the block or elbow. But that only works if you’ve got shooters to space the floor and knock it down.
Korver is a pure shooter. He hit 53 percent of his threes last year in Utah. That was a bit of an aberration, but he hit 39 percent the two years before that. He doesn’t get to the line a lot or rebound a lot, but that’s not what you’re paying him for. You’re paying him to knock down shots.
And that $5 million a year is about the going rate for a shooter of this ilk today. The smart move by Chicago was to keep the deal at three years, not letting it drag out, keeping their risk down.
Here’s your Bulls lineup: Rose, Korver, Luol Deng, Boozer and Joakim Noah to start with Taj Gibson the first guy off the bench. Playing that Thibodeau defense. That is a good team, a potentially a very good team finishing near the top of the East if things break right.
LeBron who? Chicago is just fine.
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 0
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 1
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 23
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 19
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 58
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings strike back
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay