Jul 8, 2010, 8:34 PM EDT
Read into this whatever you want. Could be nothing, could be everything.
may not be happening. Heat has canceled a full-page welcome ad in The
Miami Herald. This time I’m serious.
That is from Greg Cote, Miami Herald columnist. Ads get pulled from papers all the time for a lot of reasons.
The official reason is that nobody has signed yet. Which is true. Even if LeBron says he is coming the Beasley trade has to be worked out or scrapped, then the deals have to be signed. Marketing people want to push now, strike when the iron’s hot. Lawyers want the papers signed first. Lawyers always win that battle.
But the timing of this, combined with lingering doubts, makes you wonder a little. ESPN reporters have hedged their bets all day, but their parent company has a vested interest in the drama. Cote and the Herald do not.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18