Jul 8, 2010, 2:04 AM EST
LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all on the same team.
But it is looking more and more that way. Sources have told Alan Hahn at Newsday as well as the well-connected Chris Broussard at ESPN that LeBron is leaning heavily toward joining Wade and Bosh in Miami.
Nothing is certain. The ground is shifting on this like you’re standing over California’s San Andreas Fault.
But right now, it looks like a “super team” in Miami. LeBron reportedly flew down to Miami for dinner Wednesday night. He also reportedly was in Akron playing softball. And was in New York. And was the first man to walk on Mars. And helped coach the Netherlands’s World Cup soccer team.
If they do combine, it would create an interesting experiment in the NBA — what if you surround three superstars with minimum salary players? How good would they be?
Yes, the odd over-the-hill veteran may join them to get a ring, but most of the players in the league are not financially set like LeBron/Wade/Bosh. Those players need to go where the money is. And Miami will not be able to offer much. You get what you pay for.
The other question is money. Wade can receive Bird-rights money, about one more year and $28 million more than someone signed outright. Miami could sign one other max player, then someone would have to take a healthy pay cut.
Or, they all could. If each took a five-year deal at around $15.2 million, they could all fit into the Heat’s cap. But then we come back to the “who do you surround them with?” question.
No easy answers. But right now, Miami is the frontrunner. And the race is almost over.
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 0
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 23
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 10
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)