Reports: LeBron James leaning heavily toward Miami

Jul 8, 2010, 2:04 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for wade_bosh-James.jpgLeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all on the same team.

Wow.

But it is looking more and more that way. Sources have told Alan Hahn at Newsday as well as the well-connected Chris Broussard at ESPN that LeBron is leaning heavily toward joining Wade and Bosh in Miami.

Nothing is certain. The ground is shifting on this like you’re standing over California’s San Andreas Fault.

But right now, it looks like a “super team” in Miami. LeBron reportedly flew down to Miami for dinner Wednesday night. He also reportedly was in Akron playing softball. And was in New York. And was the first man to walk on Mars. And helped coach the Netherlands’s World Cup soccer team.

If they do combine, it would create an interesting experiment in the NBA — what if you surround three superstars with minimum salary players? How good would they be?

Yes, the odd over-the-hill veteran may join them to get a ring, but most of the players in the league are not financially set like LeBron/Wade/Bosh. Those players need to go where the money is. And Miami will not be able to offer much. You get what you pay for.

The other question is money. Wade can receive Bird-rights money, about one more year and $28 million more than someone signed outright. Miami could sign one other max player, then someone would have to take a healthy pay cut.

Or, they all could. If each took a five-year deal at around $15.2 million, they could all fit into the Heat’s cap. But then we come back to the “who do you surround them with?” question.

No easy answers. But right now, Miami is the frontrunner. And the race is almost over.

1. nomuskles - Jul 8, 2010 at 3:14 AM

i’m supposed to be rooting for lebron to end up in chicago because my friend is from chicago. so go bulls.
    now that that is out of the way. can’t we all just wait 24 hours to hear what he says? it’s not like there’s an NBA finals game to watch on tv. reading broussard’s tweets, he’s all over the place. what makes this tweet particularly believable and the rest junk? doesn’t make sense. deep breaths everybody.
    i agree with the point of this post though, what a compelling big three. it’d be great for the NBA.

2. Marky Mark - Jul 8, 2010 at 4:33 AM

While it would be interesting to watch, I still don’t know quite how it well it would actually work. Way too many egos.

3. luffy - Jul 8, 2010 at 5:03 AM

Btw, does the Monicker “King” for Lebron James stands for a ruler? or KingKong for short?

4. Dan - Jul 8, 2010 at 5:54 AM

Better alternative than coming to the NY Knicks.

5. Bob - Jul 8, 2010 at 7:11 AM

The consistency of the Cleveland sports scene is truly amazing.

6. Jake - Jul 8, 2010 at 7:19 AM

If he goes to Miami, at least it will make sense from a basketball perspective. So much of what has happened with these marquee guys has made no sense in terms of winning games, and even though this would immediately become the least likable team in the league (although I’m sure the Celtics would be eager to protect their crown), it does make sense because they would win so many games. As a sidenote, who else is sick as hell of Chris Broussard’s “reports”? I mean, my gosh. The guy has been a complete speculation tool. He’s supposed to be reporting news, and instead all we’ve gotten is “According to my sources, LeBron wants to play for Cuba” or whatever. Jeez. If he had said a couple of different things, that would be fine. But he’s gone all over the map with this thing a dozen times. If this Miami thing turns out to not be true and LeBron winds up playing in Kuwait, I won’t be at all surprised. Well, maybe not Kuwait, but you get it.

7. in FLORIDA - Jul 8, 2010 at 7:31 AM

I’m glad for Chris Broussard that he has a job, and probably gets paid well too, but his ‘insights’ for someone allegedly so well-connected are useless. He’s supposed to be the guy closest to LeBron’s agent, and all his reports are nothing but speculation and innuendo. Absolutely nothing concrete or reliable. At this point, I couldn’t care less if LeBron plays for the Yugoslavian national team. Broussard’s “sources”? Yeah, I have mine too. I’m using them right now. It’s my keyboard and my thoughts.

8. Brad Bruner - Jul 8, 2010 at 7:42 AM

I bet Lebron is staying with Cleveland. ESPN just wants to throw out other scenarios and rumours so that people will tune in to tonight’s special.

9. Dasher - Jul 8, 2010 at 7:51 AM

I hope that self important egomaniac never wins another game let alone a championship. That applies even if he were on my team.

10. JA - Jul 8, 2010 at 8:07 AM

I hope Queen James and his enormously huge ego do go to Miami with Wade and Bosh. Then they can play with D-league players to fill out the rest of the team, never win a division let alone a championship, and we can all laugh at them in the process. Having 3 max salary players on 1 team with all minimum salary players for the remaining spots on the team is a never before tried experiment for a reason. Eventually the 3 “stars” have to take a rest in a game. Once they sit on the bench the other team is going to take the bench players to school and blow them out.

11. Jack - Jul 8, 2010 at 8:08 AM

OK, so Miami’s top 3 guys will be better than the top 3 guys from the Bulls. I’ll give you that. But I’ll still take Chicago’s top 5-6-7-8 guys over Miami’s 5-6-7-8 every day of the week.
    Unless the 3 Stooges also get the NBA to change the game to 3 on 3.
    Let the Bulls spend the rest of their $$$ on roster-stacking good guys and then play 48 minutes, rotating those fresh legs in and out of the game against the Heat.

12. Jack - Jul 8, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Tonight’s announcement:
    LBJ: I’m goin to Miami!
    DWade: Told you I would bring him to MY team!
    LBJ: What…wait – this ain’t your team, this is now MY team.
    DWade: Uhhh…no – it’s MY team – I brought you here.
    Bosh: Hey! I’m the LINCHPIN here – ME ME ME.
    LBJ/DWade: Shut up little brother.
    LBJ: Like I was sayin…..
    DWade: Uh – no, like I was sayin…..
    –Cut to commercial–

13. nimble - Jul 8, 2010 at 8:38 AM

game over…

14. Donna - Jul 8, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Don’t see this one happening, or if it does it will never work! Too many “big name” players with the egos to match on one team. LA tried it with Shaq and Kobey and we all see how that worked out! While I understand the concept of “stacking a team”, it is always a gamble to insure harmony on a team with that much talent.

15. Joe - Jul 8, 2010 at 8:52 AM

If true, Miami will be #1 hated team in NBA

16. nick geerz - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Hes going to play in the C.B.A. sorry suckers

17. Speedrcr5 - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Tonights 1 hour Lebron show will be 59 minutes and 30 seconds of how great Cleveland is and the final 30 seconds will be I’M GOING TO MIAMI!!!!!!!

18. TD - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Well, dope and hookers are more plentiful in Miami, so why not?

19. Speedrcr5 - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:12 AM

20. Buster Hyman - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I wonder who Gloria James will sleep with this season… Any Thoughts??

21. Mo - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I believe he has no place in the heat’s line up. It is Wade’s team and adding Lebron doesn;t add up. He has to go to a team where he can prove that he can take that team to the champioship . .. not because he has a wade or a bosh backing him up. Go take on Chicago Lebron. I think that is where you belong.

22. Delonte W. - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Hey Now.. Gloria will still be mine Lebron, no matter where you go !!!

23. Don Magic Juan - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I have a spot on the stroll for Gloria she can be one of the stallions in my stable.. ill have here workin collins ave in no time.. She has potential to be a big earner

24. Gloria J. - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:45 AM

No baby, there’s some fine mens in Miami! Might have to give you the boot!

25. muaythai - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:49 AM

It is absurd when basketball, baseball, football players receive millions of dollars for playing a sport while are brave warriors fighting and dying receive meager pay. This country needs to get its priorities straight. The real heroes are the military we should be paying the big bucks.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches