Jul 8, 2010, 8:20 PM EDT
Randy Foye, who was let walk from the Washington Wizards, may be backing up Baron Davis for the Clippers next season.
Foye is expected to soon reach a deal with Los Angeles, according to Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times.
Backup point guard was a position the Clippers needed to fill after letting Steve Blake go down the hall at Staples Center to the Lakers. Foye (like Davis) is a scoring point. Except, while Davis can score with the best of them — when the mood hits him and Venus aligns with Mars — Foye is not a great scorer. He shot 41.9 percent last season with a true shooting percentage of 51.6 percent (think of TS% like points per shot attempt). Both are just a little below the league average.
What the Clippers really need is an attacking wing player, but Foye will not be that for Vinny Del Negro. Last year, Foye shot a little worse when playing the two guard role, but more importantly he got torched on defense — opposing twos shot 53 percent (eFG%) against him. It just wasn’t pretty.
No financial terms have leaked yet.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49