Jul 8, 2010, 8:20 PM EDT
Randy Foye, who was let walk from the Washington Wizards, may be backing up Baron Davis for the Clippers next season.
Foye is expected to soon reach a deal with Los Angeles, according to Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times.
Backup point guard was a position the Clippers needed to fill after letting Steve Blake go down the hall at Staples Center to the Lakers. Foye (like Davis) is a scoring point. Except, while Davis can score with the best of them — when the mood hits him and Venus aligns with Mars — Foye is not a great scorer. He shot 41.9 percent last season with a true shooting percentage of 51.6 percent (think of TS% like points per shot attempt). Both are just a little below the league average.
What the Clippers really need is an attacking wing player, but Foye will not be that for Vinny Del Negro. Last year, Foye shot a little worse when playing the two guard role, but more importantly he got torched on defense — opposing twos shot 53 percent (eFG%) against him. It just wasn’t pretty.
No financial terms have leaked yet.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 70
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32