Jul 8, 2010, 8:20 PM EST
Randy Foye, who was let walk from the Washington Wizards, may be backing up Baron Davis for the Clippers next season.
Foye is expected to soon reach a deal with Los Angeles, according to Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times.
Backup point guard was a position the Clippers needed to fill after letting Steve Blake go down the hall at Staples Center to the Lakers. Foye (like Davis) is a scoring point. Except, while Davis can score with the best of them — when the mood hits him and Venus aligns with Mars — Foye is not a great scorer. He shot 41.9 percent last season with a true shooting percentage of 51.6 percent (think of TS% like points per shot attempt). Both are just a little below the league average.
What the Clippers really need is an attacking wing player, but Foye will not be that for Vinny Del Negro. Last year, Foye shot a little worse when playing the two guard role, but more importantly he got torched on defense — opposing twos shot 53 percent (eFG%) against him. It just wasn’t pretty.
No financial terms have leaked yet.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 3
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 11
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)