Mel Turpin found dead at 49

Jul 8, 2010, 8:15 PM EST

Mel Turpin.jpg

The Associated Press is reporting that Mel Turpin was found dead in his Lexington, Kentucky home on Thursday. The reported cause of Turpin’s death was suicide. Turpin was 49 years old.
Turpin was a star at Kentucky, and was taken 6th overall in the legendary 1984 NBA draft. In five seasons with the Cavaliers, Jazz, and Washington Bullets, Turpin averaged 8.5 points and 4.6 rebounds per game.
  1. Fork Union Military Academy - Jul 9, 2010 at 9:35 AM

It saddens the Fork Union Military Academy family that one of our own has fallen. He will be missed.

2. jan - Jul 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM

You are an a..

3. Bev - Jul 9, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I knew Melvin as a cadet at Fork Union Military Academy. He was a great young man. My heart aches that he is gone and my sympathies go out to his famiy. God bless you Melvin and be at peace with Him.

4. Pj - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Either you are completely VOID of all human emotion, or you are just sorry. Anytime that a family loses a member, it is a heartbreaking, life-altering occurence. You should be ashamed for degrading Turpin’s life, and the effect of his life on others around him by mentioning the Cavs or Lebron. Shame on you.
    I had the privilege to meet Turpin while my children were at UK. He was a sweet and courteous man, always with a smile on his face. God’s peace and strength to his family. You are in my prayers.

5. Skoodaddy - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Mel Turpin will be missed. Bless him and his family!!!!

6. carrie - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:18 AM

goodbye to a wonderfull man. your smiling face will be missed at UK hospital. you always gave an uplifting voice to us in our time of need when our loved one was so ill. thanks for our memories. you will be missed.

7. ole ky fan 84 - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM

the twin towers sam b. and mel t. they were a force to be reckon with in the sec early 80’s my prayers go out to the turpin family,GOD BLESS ALL,MELVIN MAY YOU BE AT GOD SPEED NOW..

8. blue all my life - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

i remember as a young girl watching him and that sweet, sweet turnaround jump shot that he had and was his favorite shot to make. He was my favorite, and i am very saddened that his life ended this way. God bless him and his family and may we all keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

9. blue all my life - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I remember as a young girl watching Melvin Turpin and that massive amount of talent that played with him. He just always seemed a gentle giant to me and I loved watching shoot that sweet, sweet turnaround jump shot that you could tell he loved to shoot. My thoughts and prayers will be with his family and I pray that they are able to overcome this and remember the good things about a great man.

10. Angela - Jul 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I remember Melvin from Bryan Station. We saw him grow tremendously in height and mature into a great player we were all so proud of. It is so sad to know someone has emotionally suffered to the depths to take his or her own life. May he be at peace now, and pray his family finds peace also. God be with each of you during this difficult time…May your memories of Melvin always bring a smile.

11. ukdvm - Jul 9, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I bleed blue, true blue, and all of my 35 yrs on earth. I feel so horrible for this tragedy. I will have the family in my thoughts. All of the twin toweres are gone now. God bless

12. Erika J - Jul 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I’m very sadden by this..I first met Melvin when he use to do secruity @ SW, we instantly became friends. I recall one evening we were at work and he says “Monica(my name is Erika), i’m going to take a nap..wake me when the boss comes”..lol Monica misses you already(smiling)Glad to have been your friend.

13. Erika - Jul 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I first met Melvin when he use to do secruity for Sherwin williams, we instantly became friends and there was nothing he wouldn’t do for you. he wouldnt often tease me about being short(lol) For the life of me until this day i have no idea why he always called me ” Monica” I’m glad to be able to say i was a friend to you Mel… Monica misses you already(smiles) To his family.. you all are in my prayers.

14. bm - Jul 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM

what a great loss for the great State of Kentucky

15. Marian - Jul 9, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Write me because Melvin is my cousin too. I only met him once. He is really my mother’s cousin. I want to know who you are, maybe we are related too. Please reply.

16. william - Jul 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I remember playing basketball one day and I look up and it was big Melvin. I was about 5’8 and I challeged him to a game of HORSE….Big Mel dunked 5 times an won in about three minutes because I could barely touch the rim at the time..I believe it was the best game of ball I got to play…but better yet, I ran out of gas one day, about ten years later and who stops and helps me out was big Melvin….he looked at me and ask me could I dunk yet. He was in his first year of the NBA…couldn’t believe he remebered me…great man….RIP big man. My prayers go out to him and his family. May god be with you.

17. Donna Hardin - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Rest in Peace Melvin. I am so sorry you were in so much pain. You will be remembered always, by many, and truly missed. God Bless your dear family, and friends. You are one of God’s angels now. May you have eternal bliss. :(

18. Gayle Jones - Jul 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM

On June 27, my sister in law was admitted to Central Baptist Hospital. Within an hour or two she was put on life support. We spent a horrid week with her as she finally passed away Sunday, July 4. During that week Melvin was there at the hospital with his wife. I had seen him in the hallway and thought of how tall he was. As I was coming home one day through the week another sister in law who was staying with her called me and said she had just talked with Melvin Turpin. I thought she was pulling my leg. The next day as I sat in the waiting room, he walked in. Well to tell a long story short, I can’t tell you how much we enjoyed him and all the pictures we took and video on our phones. We were watching in real life a hero from 1980-84, which was best in my memories fo U K basketball, come to life. He was precious, answering our many questions and being so very kind. His wife was also in the hospital and he kept us up to date on her. He was so worried about her. On Sunday, I met him in the hall and told him about them having to take life support off my sister in law and he hugged me and said he was so sorry and would be praying. We were standing in the line and welcoming vistitors as they came through, at my sister in laws veiwing Friday evening when we got the news about Melvin. It broke our hearts. We came from a large family and we had shared his pictures and video to all our friends. We are all so very sad at the loss of such a sweet person. Your family has our condolences. He is so sadly missed. I hope some of his family gets to read this from a stranger that Melvin helped get through the hardest week we had ever been through.
    God Bless you all,
    Sizemore,Jones,McGee,Mullens, and Hammack family.

19. Jan - Jul 10, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I’ve known Kerry and Melvin for years; they have followed me thru 3 restaurants that I managed. They never failed to greet me with a smile and a huge hug. I’ve loved them both for a long long time. Rest in peace, Melvin. and Kerry, you and the rest of his beloved family are in my prayers. May God bless.

20. Dr. Alvina (Jewett) Candler - Jul 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I was extremely sadden to hear of the loss of my friend from elementary through high school. May God Bless the Turpin family and know that you will be in my prayers.
    Respectfully,
    Dr. Alvina Candler

21. Cody - Jul 10, 2010 at 1:39 PM

My prayers go out to Mel Turpin and his family. He still was a young man and probably would of had alot more years. Its not easy to lose someone close.

22. jerry - Jul 10, 2010 at 3:44 PM

We never know why ,but we loved you ,and will miss you big guy.

23. Crystal - Jul 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Mel was a good friend of my mom and stepfather. I unfornately never got to meet him, but I know he was a wonderful man. He is more than just a UK bssketball legend, he was a devoted man. He will be greatly missed. My prayers are with Carrie and his family.

24. Mike of Australia - Aug 1, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Didn’t know who this guy was. Now I can see how the USA has an even bigger obesity problem than Australia.

25. skylar - Aug 7, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Thanks for that complment and you are very thankful and thank you for carring for my papa

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches