Mel Turpin found dead at 49

Jul 8, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT

Mel Turpin.jpg

The Associated Press is reporting that Mel Turpin was found dead in his Lexington, Kentucky home on Thursday. The reported cause of Turpin’s death was suicide. Turpin was 49 years old.
Turpin was a star at Kentucky, and was taken 6th overall in the legendary 1984 NBA draft. In five seasons with the Cavaliers, Jazz, and Washington Bullets, Turpin averaged 8.5 points and 4.6 rebounds per game.
  1. my apologies - Jul 8, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Ok my sympathies go out to his family and friends, loosing someone is never easy…
    I wonder if he was a Cavs fan feed up with this LeBron crap-ola…
    He sounds like he is not the only person ready to kill themselves today…

2. Valorie - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:16 PM

God Bless him..

3. :(( - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM

i cant believe he has passed this way.
    (he is my cousin:(

4. kobe - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM

ok this is no time for jokes he is my cus… What a sad day….my dear friend and family member Melvin Turpin died this afternoon. I am so thankful that I had the chance to see him this week and talk to him just yesterday. He will be missed. Please keep his family in your prayers especially his wife who just recently had a stroke and is in the hospital.

5. ANGIE67 - Jul 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Your family are respectfully in my prayers. I remember him as a great basketball player, but I know to you he was a lot more. May God bless you all.

6. momwithhope - Jul 8, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I have a picture of him with my children that was taken many years ago in Hazard, ky. I am sending prayers up for the family. May GOd Bless.

7. nancy rans - Jul 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I am so sorry. Long life fan. Just couple weeks ago my husband talked to him and helped him with plumbing. I pray God be with his family and friends. We never know why God allows us to feel the pain of a loss love one. I am so sorry again

8. Dr. Louise Toombs - Jul 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM

I am deeply saddended by Mel’s death. Mel was a really good person. Margaret, I will keep you and the Turpin family in my prayers.

9. Penny (Edwards) Fryman - Jul 8, 2010 at 10:51 PM

I grew up with Melvin in Lexington, KY. He and I attended the same High School (Bryan Station) and we had been friends for a long time. Jack Givens lived down the road from us. My memories are of a younger more carefree Melvin. I loved you dearly Mel and you are sadly missed.

10. armywife - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Yes it is a tragedy. He leaves behind 3 GREAT KIDS, who have lived w/his former wife of years ago. What a sad day. And a shame he will miss seeing his kids grow up into great people, doing great things.

11. Pat - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM

it is so sad that when someone loses a loved one others have to have a smart comment about it! Losing someone you love is no joking matter.

12. Lynn - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I am sorry to hear about Mel’s passing. I remember watching him play against UofL during the 80’s with Sam Bowie. God bless his family, especially his children.

13. John True - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I worked with Mel at UK hospital he was a great guy I’ll miss him

14. lesia - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM

one of the twin towers has now fallen, may god bless him and his family

15. shelley - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:32 PM

my sincerest apologies to this wonderful mans family….as a UK FAN i remember him as a talented basketball player, He will be missed

16. UK FAN FOR LIFE - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Melvin was one of the greatest players ever to play in Rupp Arena and to wear the greatest college name across his chest, MELVIN you will always live in the heart of BIG BLUE NATION. WE WILL MISS YOU. R.I.P.

17. TMACK - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:04 AM

We are all saddened when someone succumbs to despair. I remember his strength on the court and as a healtcare provider, am even more intrigued by his work in a hospital emergency department. Obviously, Mel was a man with a big heart. Let his legacy live on in all of us whenever we reach out to someone who needs help.

18. KyChickinMEM - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:09 AM

How sad :( He was absolutely legendary at UK.

19. new minor league baseball fan - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Mel should be the cavs story today, not Lebron. To hell with the NBA, To Mel, godspeed, and to his family the cavs nation deepest sympathy!

20. Countrycard - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:13 AM

So sorry Mel didn’t realize how much people loved him….just a reminder to tell all those you DO love….everyday…that you are there or them….no matter what!! He will be missed by so many! It’s hard to understand why someone feels life is not worth living..God bless the family!

21. country card - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM

22. Anon - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:38 AM

An hero

23. James Taylor - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:52 AM

I am extremely saddened to hear of Melvin Turpin passing. I am a devoted Louisville Cardinal fan, yet I still remember the positive impact Melvin had on the Kentucky program, and he was liked by many people for his work ethic and his politness to everyone he met. Even Cardinal fans realize someone who made a difference in people’s lives. Melvin, you did that, and you will be sorely missed by everyone who knew and respected you. Rest in peace “Big Dipper”.

24. Renee - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:53 AM

I knew Melvin through working at UK hospital. He was always a positive person with a smile on his face. He made me feel welcomed when I first started at the hospital. I will miss him. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and other friends of this gentle giant. I hope he’s found peace.

25. Tonya - Jul 9, 2010 at 8:19 AM

who was his wife?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches