Jul 8, 2010, 5:09 PM EDT
Mark Cuban thinks LeBron to Miami is a smokescreen. A misdirection so LeBron can slip the card back into the deck without the audience noticing. A bit of slight of hand pulled off with the help of a public relations firm.
A lot of people think that. Not a majority, and not me. But there are plenty of people out there.
Cuban though, puts his thoughts out there. He lays out some entertaining scenarios of what happens when LeBron makes his announcement not long after 9 pm tonight (and he is spot on about the reactions):
If LeBron announces Miami, all the sports media who reported the same get to write “i told you so”. The people in Miami smile. Maybe some have a cuba libre and go about their business. The phones ring and the Heat sell a bunch of tickets. Pat Riley buys some hair gel. Erik Spolestra stresses about what happens if they don’t win this year. Everyone starts telling lies about how such and such player would love to play for the minimum salary to play with the Golden Triangle.
In the State of Ohio ? Forgetabbout it. People cry. People kick their dogs. They fall into a funk. LeBron instantly becomes the most hated person in the state, and equally hated by anyone close to people who live there.
Just as quickly Art Modell is placed on par with Mother Theresa when compared to Lebron….
On the flip side, if he says he is going back to the Cavs there are parties in the streets, horns honking, people kissing strangers. Art Modell sneaks into the state and gets a kiss. Everyone’s wife and husband, boyfriend and girlfriend all the sudden become prettier that night. People are pouring out in the street as if a war had ended. Instead of an infamous picture of a sailor kissing a young lady, there will be a picture of a couple, both in LeBron James Cavs jerseys kissing in the middle of the street. A photo passed through the internet as a memento of a moment in time that in the big picture means nothing, but for tonight means everything.
Which is exactly why I think he is going back to the Cavs. The sports world is full of uncertainties. When in doubt, go for the love. Which is what you do when you make the mistake of not coming to the Mavs
Gotta love Cuban.
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 25
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 44
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 15
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55