Jul 8, 2010, 5:09 PM EST
Mark Cuban thinks LeBron to Miami is a smokescreen. A misdirection so LeBron can slip the card back into the deck without the audience noticing. A bit of slight of hand pulled off with the help of a public relations firm.
A lot of people think that. Not a majority, and not me. But there are plenty of people out there.
Cuban though, puts his thoughts out there. He lays out some entertaining scenarios of what happens when LeBron makes his announcement not long after 9 pm tonight (and he is spot on about the reactions):
If LeBron announces Miami, all the sports media who reported the same get to write “i told you so”. The people in Miami smile. Maybe some have a cuba libre and go about their business. The phones ring and the Heat sell a bunch of tickets. Pat Riley buys some hair gel. Erik Spolestra stresses about what happens if they don’t win this year. Everyone starts telling lies about how such and such player would love to play for the minimum salary to play with the Golden Triangle.
In the State of Ohio ? Forgetabbout it. People cry. People kick their dogs. They fall into a funk. LeBron instantly becomes the most hated person in the state, and equally hated by anyone close to people who live there.
Just as quickly Art Modell is placed on par with Mother Theresa when compared to Lebron….
On the flip side, if he says he is going back to the Cavs there are parties in the streets, horns honking, people kissing strangers. Art Modell sneaks into the state and gets a kiss. Everyone’s wife and husband, boyfriend and girlfriend all the sudden become prettier that night. People are pouring out in the street as if a war had ended. Instead of an infamous picture of a sailor kissing a young lady, there will be a picture of a couple, both in LeBron James Cavs jerseys kissing in the middle of the street. A photo passed through the internet as a memento of a moment in time that in the big picture means nothing, but for tonight means everything.
Which is exactly why I think he is going back to the Cavs. The sports world is full of uncertainties. When in doubt, go for the love. Which is what you do when you make the mistake of not coming to the Mavs
Gotta love Cuban.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 12
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30