Jul 8, 2010, 9:33 PM EDT
LeBron James is joining Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh with the Miami Heat, forming the best threesome the league has seen in decades.
He made it official on his nationally televised ESPN special.
“I’m looking forward to it,” he said on the show. “I can’t say I dreamed about it because I didn’t think it was possible.”
“I think championships are championships. You
can’t look at it and say if I had won it somewhere else it would be
LeBron has been in the middle of a self-created hype storm — one that may well damage his image.
He just went on national television and ripped the heart out of his hometown. He just became a bigger villain in Cleveland than Art Modell. And Judas himself was more welcome in Cleveland than Modell. Cleveland has had its heart broken so many times — Willy Mays making “the catch,” then “the drive” and “the fumble,” then Michael Jordan hitting a shot over Craig Ehlo. And that’s a partial list.
“It’s hard to explain, but the seven years I gave to the city was everything… I never wanted to leave Cleveland,” James said.
All the hype for a decision that other players made quietly hurts him. Kevin Durant just accepted a max deal and announced it on twitter while going to Summer League games to cheer on teammates. Kobe did it mid-season with minimal fanfare. Even Wade and Bosh only did a 15-minute, middle-of-the-day interview.
He says he felt like he let a lot of people down, but the chance to pair up with Bosh and Wade made the decision. He said it was what was best for him.
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 2
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 17
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 0
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 5
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 19
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (91)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay