Jul 8, 2010, 9:33 PM EDT
LeBron James is joining Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh with the Miami Heat, forming the best threesome the league has seen in decades.
He made it official on his nationally televised ESPN special.
“I’m looking forward to it,” he said on the show. “I can’t say I dreamed about it because I didn’t think it was possible.”
“I think championships are championships. You
can’t look at it and say if I had won it somewhere else it would be
LeBron has been in the middle of a self-created hype storm — one that may well damage his image.
He just went on national television and ripped the heart out of his hometown. He just became a bigger villain in Cleveland than Art Modell. And Judas himself was more welcome in Cleveland than Modell. Cleveland has had its heart broken so many times — Willy Mays making “the catch,” then “the drive” and “the fumble,” then Michael Jordan hitting a shot over Craig Ehlo. And that’s a partial list.
“It’s hard to explain, but the seven years I gave to the city was everything… I never wanted to leave Cleveland,” James said.
All the hype for a decision that other players made quietly hurts him. Kevin Durant just accepted a max deal and announced it on twitter while going to Summer League games to cheer on teammates. Kobe did it mid-season with minimal fanfare. Even Wade and Bosh only did a 15-minute, middle-of-the-day interview.
He says he felt like he let a lot of people down, but the chance to pair up with Bosh and Wade made the decision. He said it was what was best for him.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36