Jul 8, 2010, 9:33 PM EDT
LeBron James is joining Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh with the Miami Heat, forming the best threesome the league has seen in decades.
He made it official on his nationally televised ESPN special.
“I’m looking forward to it,” he said on the show. “I can’t say I dreamed about it because I didn’t think it was possible.”
“I think championships are championships. You
can’t look at it and say if I had won it somewhere else it would be
LeBron has been in the middle of a self-created hype storm — one that may well damage his image.
He just went on national television and ripped the heart out of his hometown. He just became a bigger villain in Cleveland than Art Modell. And Judas himself was more welcome in Cleveland than Modell. Cleveland has had its heart broken so many times — Willy Mays making “the catch,” then “the drive” and “the fumble,” then Michael Jordan hitting a shot over Craig Ehlo. And that’s a partial list.
“It’s hard to explain, but the seven years I gave to the city was everything… I never wanted to leave Cleveland,” James said.
All the hype for a decision that other players made quietly hurts him. Kevin Durant just accepted a max deal and announced it on twitter while going to Summer League games to cheer on teammates. Kobe did it mid-season with minimal fanfare. Even Wade and Bosh only did a 15-minute, middle-of-the-day interview.
He says he felt like he let a lot of people down, but the chance to pair up with Bosh and Wade made the decision. He said it was what was best for him.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 9
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31