Kobe Bryant wants Derek Fisher back. Oh, and he wishes LeBron well.

Jul 8, 2010, 9:52 AM EDT

You can tell what gets Kobe’s passions going.

Thumbnail image for Fisher_Bryant.jpgWhen asked by reporters at his youth camp yesterday about LeBron James and the other free agents, he said all the right things. That he hoped they could make a decision that was best for them despite all the hype, he hoped that they were happy.

But ask him about losing Derek Fisher, as Dave McMenamin from ESPNLosAngeles.com did, and…

“We need to have him back, it’s as simple as that,” Bryant said about his fellow co-captain with whom Bryant joined the Lakers as rookies together back in 1996. “It’s not a question of if he will be back; it’s a matter of when…”

“I don’t care what [the cost] is,” said Bryant, who also said some variation of the phrase “we need Derek back” six times during his comments on the subject — once for every ring the pair can win together if Fisher comes back to capture a third straight championship next year. “They need to work that out and get him back because his significance to our ballclub and to me cannot be understated.

“He’s our big-shot maker, he complements me in terms of leadership in the locker room because he’s the guy that puts his arms around everybody and he’s our emotional leader and that allows me to be the taskmaster. We need to get him back and have him be a part of this group and in the fold.

“I’m optimistic that it will happen but we got to get that done.”

It’s about the winning. It’s always about the winning.

The Lakers and Fisher remain a ways apart. Fisher wants two years at $5 million per year, while the Lakers were offering one year for about $2.5 million. Fisher has had nibbles of interest from other teams, other contenders for the crown, but much of the market for secondary players is on hold while waiting for the big fish to land.

Kobe, you can bet, will call Mitch Kupchak about this soon. If he hasn’t already. Twelve times.

1. ocgunslinger - Jul 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Derek has slowed down and does not have the physical abilities of 5 years ago. That being said he brings a lot of the intangibles of winning, willingness to take the clutch shot, experience in the triangle and leadership to the Laker team. ‘nough said….bring him back for a shot at the three-peat.

2. CyberCosmiX - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:38 AM

totally agree with ocgunslinger. D-Fish isn’t the tenacious, in-your-face, charge-taking defender of 10 years ago (defense was never his strong suit, but he did take a LOT of charge calls). Nor is he going to get you a very high clip of jumpers. He’s also not the guy that is going rack up consistent high assist numbers.
    Fisher is just a winner. He’s also the guy I’d most like to see take an end-of-game clutch shot if Kobe is double teamed. But as clutch as D-Fish is, that is only a fraction of the good-hearted, team-oriented person he is. If Kobe is the soul of the Lakers, Fisher is the heart. Together, they make a very formidable duo, and neither he nor Kobe you KNOW will ever back down a single millimeter to the opposition.
    This will provide a year of transition towards Steve Blake starting. This will also give him a year to transition into coaching, something I think he’s better suited to do than any current player still playing in the league.
    Lakers won 5 rings with Fish, I wouldn’t want them to try to win a 6th without him…

3. Kobe Summer's Vacation - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Kobe made his comment between rape victims in Colorado. He will be headed to the Gulf coast to rape white women volunteering to clean up tar-balls.

4. LakerNations - Jul 8, 2010 at 1:18 PM

@Kobe Summer’s Vacation….u can take ur comment abt Kobe & shove it up….that’s in the past…obviously ur Laker hater but that’s ok…u can say & hate the man all u want till u drop dead because nobody listen & care about anything to all the Laker Haters out there about the man! U can hate but Kobe will keep ringing those Championship Rings in to the Laker House….so for your hater comments…..why don’t u find another sports to watch maybe you’ll get a CHAMPIONSHP RING there instead of you watching Kobe – because the BLACK MAMBA is going to tell you…..Don’t Give a “F” what you think or say & YOU can KISS MY BLK ASS!!!!!

5. I gotta say.... - Jul 8, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I have to agree…..Kobe is a thug rapist criminal. But, he IS the best rapist in the NBA! So, he has THAT going for him.

6. tb - Jul 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM

reading thru the cort docs, how on earth could anyone honestly think he was guilty of rape. I mean, did you no read the judge’s decision before the case was dropped?
    of course you didn’t… you’re an idiot.

7. Kobe - Jul 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Everyone settle down. I have accepted it and all of you should accept it too. I am a rapist. Thank you.

8. kobe - Jul 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM

hahahahahahaha d fish is poo and all the kobe jokes are funny
    LEBRON IS A COWARD AND A FRONT RUNNER

9. sad at the tone - Jul 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Wow, this is very disappointing that there is so much negativity and hate spewing going on here.Shame on you!

10. venom24 - Jul 8, 2010 at 5:05 PM

true…………….you know how us guys get with sports though…………its like capping on somebodys mama…not good

11. Kobe - Jul 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Dear Sad At The Tone.
    It is not their fault. I am a rapist. They are just talking about it. It is okay. I understand. The good news is that I DID pay her off so she wouldn’t testify, so I didn’t go to jail. AND, I was able to buy my wife a multi-million dollar ring so she wouldn’t divorce me (ha ha, Tiger, you should have followed me). Plus, I have a lot of Laker fan-idiots who will be glad to forget that I am a rapist, even though most of the rest of the world still remembers. So, I hang out in L.A., go on my raping vacations, and it is all good.
    Thanks for caring.
    Rape you later,
    Kobe

12. venom24 - Jul 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM

dear “kobe”
    or your variation of kobe………sounds like you might have been locked in a closet one toooo many times as a kid…listen i know it hurts to think of all the horrible things out there in this…..vast world of ours but some things need to be realized as you so delightfully put…..so if i may i will call you “flowbie”…remember that?……its the name of that hair cutting machine that gave you all those bad hair cuts as a kid……so know the bittersworth picture starts to make sence…..listen man, what ever we can do here at the yardbarker to make your life suck any less just drop a line.

13. Brian - Jul 8, 2010 at 6:03 PM

LeBron James announces that he will buy the Miami Heat, endorse the New York Knicks, marry two of the LA Clippers’ Spirit Dancers in a Utah ceremony in August, become Executive Vice President of Mining and Distribution for Polyus Gold (NJ Nets’ owner Mikhail Prokhorov’s gold empire) and play basketball part-time for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
    Read the FUNNY article here:

14. Jonathan Allen - Jul 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I almost just shat myself over the Kobe Raping the Celtics comment. Great way to take care of trolls.

15. Lakers Da Champs - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM

You know you Celtic fan boys are all upset that the Lakers totally owned your team!
    So what if Kobe raped that girl worse things in this universe could happen for example: THE LAKERS NOT WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP.
    Do you know how many dudes lining up to go after that chick simply because a champions material was inside of her? She’s lucky!
    So make way for the champs! That chick made way for the champ and so should you! Still Black….
    and yes….still in America…. hahahah lurve it.

16. Kobe HAS FIVE rings - Jul 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM

In this country, you are innocent until proven guilty. The woman in Colorado refused to testify, and would have been a horrible witness if she had, so the charges were dropped. And Kobe has 5 rings, LeBron none. D-Wade—only one, and then with Shaq, like Kobe’s first three. D-Wade isn’t even the best player in his division, let alone the league. LeBron is a child.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches