Jul 8, 2010, 12:11 AM EDT
You didn’t notice last year because Dwyane Wade mesmerized you, but Jermaine O’Neal had a pretty good year.
Danny Ainge apparently noticed. The Celtics are close to signing O’Neal according to Yahoo Sports.
Of course, there are always other suitors. Denver and Dallas in this case. All three teams who could use some front line depth.
But Boston has to be particularly tempting for any role player — they made it to the finals last year and will have much of the same team back. You’ll get minutes because Doc Rivers has to rest those aging stars during the season. Great, passionate fan base.
Plus, with Kendrick Perkins out the first couple months of the season, you’ll have the chance to really establish yourself.
Of course, it’s always about the money. This is going to take the full mid-level exception (nearly $5.8 million) or more. The years will come into play, as well. O’Neal is 31.
But apparently Boston is close. And this would be a good deal for them.
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 20
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 25
- Kevin Durant: Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are greatest of all time 61
- LeBron James becomes Obamacare pitchman 38
- Report: Houston Rockets to pursue Carmelo Anthony this summer 31