Jul 8, 2010, 12:11 AM EDT
You didn’t notice last year because Dwyane Wade mesmerized you, but Jermaine O’Neal had a pretty good year.
Danny Ainge apparently noticed. The Celtics are close to signing O’Neal according to Yahoo Sports.
Of course, there are always other suitors. Denver and Dallas in this case. All three teams who could use some front line depth.
But Boston has to be particularly tempting for any role player — they made it to the finals last year and will have much of the same team back. You’ll get minutes because Doc Rivers has to rest those aging stars during the season. Great, passionate fan base.
Plus, with Kendrick Perkins out the first couple months of the season, you’ll have the chance to really establish yourself.
Of course, it’s always about the money. This is going to take the full mid-level exception (nearly $5.8 million) or more. The years will come into play, as well. O’Neal is 31.
But apparently Boston is close. And this would be a good deal for them.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 6
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17