Jul 8, 2010, 12:11 AM EDT
You didn’t notice last year because Dwyane Wade mesmerized you, but Jermaine O’Neal had a pretty good year.
Danny Ainge apparently noticed. The Celtics are close to signing O’Neal according to Yahoo Sports.
Of course, there are always other suitors. Denver and Dallas in this case. All three teams who could use some front line depth.
But Boston has to be particularly tempting for any role player — they made it to the finals last year and will have much of the same team back. You’ll get minutes because Doc Rivers has to rest those aging stars during the season. Great, passionate fan base.
Plus, with Kendrick Perkins out the first couple months of the season, you’ll have the chance to really establish yourself.
Of course, it’s always about the money. This is going to take the full mid-level exception (nearly $5.8 million) or more. The years will come into play, as well. O’Neal is 31.
But apparently Boston is close. And this would be a good deal for them.
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 2
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 0
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 19
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 28
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2
- Hawks eliminate Nets from playoffs with blowout victory in Game 6 9